The Department of Public Works is seeking input from the community regarding the standards that the County uses to design pedestrian facilities on the county-maintained road system. The county is in the process of undertaking a massive project to install and upgrade curb ramps to current ADA specifications. This will be an ongoing project for many years. The scope of the project covers all of the county-maintained road system.
Prior to designing the new curb ramps for this project, Public Works will be updating its standards for pedestrian facilities. These standards include, but are not limited to, curb ramps, sidewalks, landscape strips, driveway aprons, pedestrian features at traffic signals, cross walks, transit bus stops.
To make sure that the updated standards meet the needs of the community, we need your input. We would like your input on pedestrian facilities in the county constructed within the last 10 years or so— regardless of which jurisdiction that they are located in:
- We want to know what pedestrian facilities work really well for you so that it can be replicated elsewhere. We need to know what works and why so that we can make sure that future improvements are built to the needs of the community.
- We also want to know what pedestrian facilities fell short of your expectations. We need to know what does not work and why. We need to learn from you why it does not work and what should have been done differently to make the facility work for you.
- Public Works will be hosting a series of listening sessions throughout the county. The schedule is as follows:
Staff will on hand to hear the concerns and the needs of the community. Please bring a list of specific examples – both good and bad. Public Works will be consolidating all of the input received. The more requests for a particular curb ramp feature; the more likely it will be incorporated in future improvements.
Submissions may also be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by U.S. Mail to Humboldt County Public Works, Attn. Bob Bronkall, 1106 Second Street, Eureka, CA 95501.
The deadline to submit requests for consideration is 02/23/2018 at 5:00 PM.
The entire process:
- Listening session workshops/meetings to identify community needs. As discussed above, Public Works will be holding a several listening sessions around the county to determine the needs of the community.
- Public Works to prepare draft plans. After reviewing the needs of the community, Public Works will prepare draft standards for pedestrian facilities that incorporate community needs.
- Public Workshops to refine the draft plans. Public Works will hold workshops to review the draft standards for pedestrian facilities. The Department will be looking input from the community on how to refine the draft standards.
- Public Works to finalize the plans. The Department will finalize the standards for pedestrian facilities based upon community input from the workshop. The standards will be used by the Department when constructing new pedestrian facilities.
Anticipated Time Table:
The Department anticipates the entire process to be completed in about five (5) months.
|Listening Sessions||1 month||January|
|Preparation of draft standards||2 month||Feb-March|
|Public Workshops||1 month||April|
|Finalize Standards||1 month||May|
For more information, contact Bob Bronkall, Deputy Director - Land Use Division at 707-445-7205.