Board of Supervisors
ResponsibilitiesThe County of Humboldt is a general law county. The Board of Supervisors, which serves as the legislative and executive body of county government and many special districts, is comprised of 5 full-time members elected by their respective districts.
Pursuant to the California Government Code, the Board enacts legislation governing Humboldt County and determines overall policies for County departments and various special districts, adopts the annual budget, and fixes salaries.
The Board also hears appeals of Planning Commission decisions and considers General Plan amendments.
The Board also adopted a Strategic Framework that is intended to provide a strong, workable plan that guides the county’s work, and makes our efforts as effective as possible. This Framework focuses on addressing community needs, improving government processes and building a solid financial foundation
The Board of Supervisors meets on Tuesdays at 9:00 a.m. in the Board Chambers located at the Humboldt County Courthouse (825 5th Street, Eureka, CA 95501). The Board generally does not meet on the 5th Tuesday of a month.
A link to view the meeting will be posted on https://humboldt.legistar.com.
Public Participation in Meetings of the Board of Supervisors
Matters on the Agenda
Members of the public may address the Board about an agenda item at the time the item is being considered by the Board.
Matters Not on the Agenda
At regular meetings of the Board, members of the public may address the Board of Supervisors on matters not appearing on the agenda during the "Public Comment on Non-Agenda Items" portion of the meeting. Members of the public may address the Board on any topic.
Submit Public Comment
Persons wishing to file documentation on any agenda item for the official record must submit an original and 7 copies of each document on 8.5" x 11" sized paper to the Clerk of the Board during the meeting or in the Clerk of the Board’s office at 825 5th Street, Room 111, Eureka, CA 95501. Failure to submit the required number of copies will result in the document(s) not being placed in the official record (per Board of Supervisors’ policy adopted on March 21, 1995).
Email Public Comment
You may also submit public comment to the Clerk of the Board via email firstname.lastname@example.org, provide your name and the agenda item number(s) on which you wish to comment. All public comment submitted after the agenda has been published will be included with the administrative record after the fact.
Zoom Public Comment
When the Board of Supervisors announce the agenda item that you wish to comment on, call the conference line and turn off your TV or live stream and press star (*) 9 on your phone, this will raise your hand. You'll continue to hear the Board meeting on the call. The phone number and Meeting ID can be found on the front page of the Board of Supervisors agenda for that meeting.
When it is time for public comment on the item you wish to speak on, the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors staff will unmute your phone. You'll hear a prompt that will indicate your phone is unmuted. Please state your name and the agenda item number you will be commenting on. You will have 3 minutes to comment.
- Tuesday, November 15, 2022 (CSAC annual conference)
- Tuesday, November 22, 2022 (Thanksgiving week)
- Tuesday, December 27, 2022 (Winter break)
- Tuesday, January 3, 2023 (following a county holiday)
- Tuesday, January 17, 2023 (following a county holiday)
- Tuesday, February 14, 2023 (following a county holiday)
- Tuesday, February 21, 2023 (following a county holiday)
- Tuesday, April 11, 2023 (CSAC Legislative conference)
- Tuesday, May 30, 2023 (5th Tuesday and following a county holiday)
- Tuesday, June 20, 2023 (following a county holiday)
- Tuesday, July 4, 2023 (county holiday)
- Tuesday, July 25, 2023 (Board break)
- Tuesday, August 1, 2023 (Board break)
- Tuesday, August 29, 2023 (5th Tuesday)
- Tuesday, September 5, 2023 (following a county holiday)
- Tuesday, September 19, 2023 (RCRC annual conference)
- Tuesday, October 10, 2023 (following All-Hands Training Day)
- Tuesday, October 31, 2023 (5th Tuesday)
- Tuesday, November 14, 2023 (CSAC annual conference)
- Tuesday, November 21, 2023 (Thanksgiving week)
- Tuesday, December 26, 2023 (following a county holiday) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Boards and CommissionsThe Board of Supervisors establishes several committees, commissions, and boards to represent and advise the Supervisors on an array of topics. The Board appoints persons to these commissions to represent individual Board members or in an at-large capacity. Please contact Tracy D'Amico at the Clerk of the Board's office for information about these committees, rosters, and vacancies.
The County Administrative Officer is appointed by the Board and serves as the chief executive officer responsible for the day-to-day administration of county affairs.
County Counsel, appointed by the Board, advises and represents the county and board in all legal affairs.
The Clerk of the Board, also appointed by the Board, is responsible for keeping a complete record of Board meetings and performing various mandated tasks.