Housing and Grants
Increase Housing that We Need
The Planning Division pursues funding to support:
- Home buyer assistance programs
- Owner-occupied housing repair programs
- Development of multifamily housing projects
- Development of housing projects to serve seniors and those with disabilities
- ADU & JADU construction, reconstruction, or rehabilitation
Support Affordable Housing
Housing & Grants implements and monitors compliance for several programs:
- Measure V, the mobile home rent stabilization ordinance
- Federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) projects and programs that improve neighborhoods and public facilities
- Affordable multi-family rental housing (see Rental webpage)
Additional Affordable Housing Services
- Find affordable housing units and helpful resources on our Rental webpage
- Housing Choice (formerly known as Section 8) is a rental program for very low-income households. Questions about the program should be directed to the Housing Authority of the County of Humboldt, 707-443-4583.
Equal Opportunity Statement
The County of Humboldt does not discriminate in housing or employment based on race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, ancestry, familial status, disability, sexual orientation, or medical condition. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County of Humboldt encourages those with disabilities to participate fully in the county programs and public hearings.
If you have special needs to allow you to participate in this program, please contact the county, 707-445-7541, so that we can make every reasonable effort to accommodate you.
The county is an equal opportunity lender.
Interested in Learning More about Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs)?
As part of its Housing Forward Humboldt initiative, the Humboldt County Planning and Building Department has launched Humboldt ADU (humboldtadu.org), a website dedicated to walking you through all of the steps of developing your ADU.
Housing Forward Humboldt Community Workshop Series
Housing Forward Humboldt in the News!
Article: The Times Standard writes an article covering the new resources introduced during the the April 13, 2022 ADU Workshop.
Video: A conversation between County Planner Keenan Hilton and Access Humboldt Community Voices Host Paul Bressoud on the housing challenges in Humboldt County and beyond and some of the novel approaches Humboldt County Planning and Building Department is taking to face these challenges.