The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office OES would like to advise residents of the potential for flooding in low lying areas based on the currently anticipated amount of rainfall over the next 24-48 hours. We are continually monitoring the situation for any changes and updated information will be disseminated as necessary.
PREPAREDNESS/PROTECTIVE ACTION RECOMMENDATIONS:
North Coast residents should consider taking the following preventive measures in case of future flooding.
• Prepare by collecting a supply of food, water, clothing, bedding, toiletries, and emergency equipment such as a flashlight, extra batteries, portable radio, and first aid kit. Obtain household bleach for water purification. Fill your car with gas.
• Collect any special needs such as diapers, baby food, formula, pet food, and drug prescriptions.
• Individuals should make sure that storage facilities are filled and that backup emergency power is available when possible.
• Farmers and ranchers should obtain animal feed and be prepared to move animals to higher ground in case of additional flooding.
• Collect sandbagging supplies and prepare sandbags.
• If you are on high ground, stay inside and listen to local radio/TV for evacuation routes and instructions. If you need to evacuate, lock your windows and doors.
• Watch out for washouts, fallen wires, fallen trees, etc. Do not cross flowing water (on foot or in a car).
• Be prepared for flash floods, which can happen with little or no warning. Have a plan and act at once when authorities give you information.