Under California law, certain sex offender registrants must abide by special terms between 5 p.m. and 5 a.m. on Halloween night, including:
- Stay in their own home;
- Not answer the door for anyone except Law Enforcement;
- Keep all exterior lights off;
- Cannot pass out treats;
- Cannot decorate their house for Halloween.
In coordination with State Parole and County Probation, Sheriff’s Investigators will be closely monitoring PC 290 registrants Halloween night, ensuring registrants are abiding by these terms.
Community members are also encouraged to review the Department of Justice’s Megan’s Law database for any area where you intend to take children trick-or-treating and practice the following Halloween safety tips:
- Adults should always supervise children while trick or treating.
- If you will be walking at night, be visible. Carry a flashlight and wear light, reflective clothing so that drivers can see you.
- Make sure Halloween costumes are flame-retardant and visible with retro-reflective material.
- Walk in well-lit areas on the sidewalk, not on the street.
- Never allow children to run out into the street.
- Only cross the street at crosswalks or corners where it is safe.
- Only trick-or-treat at residences with exterior lights on or that indicate they are accepting trick-or-treaters.
- Drive cautiously and slow down.
- Watch for pedestrians who may be in dark clothing or may cross roads unexpectedly.
- Carefully exit and enter driveways and alleys.
- Be extra alert for vehicles backing out of driveways or leaving parking spaces as drive-up trick or treating may be more common this year.
- Do not drink alcohol and drive. Designate a non-drinking driver if your plans for the holiday include consuming impairing substances.
The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office is a participant in the Region II Sexual Assault Felony Enforcement (SAFE) Team, and these enforcement efforts are funded through the SAFE grant.
Receive HCSO news straight to your phone or email. Subscribe to news alerts at: humboldtsheriff.org/subscribe.