This Memorial Day weekend the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office expects hundreds of people to visit our local rivers, beaches and redwoods. While you’re enjoying Humboldt County’s great outdoors, we encourage you to make safe choices for a fun and relaxing holiday weekend.
Humboldt County Sheriff’s Deputies will be conducting increased patrols in and around popular county recreational areas this Memorial Day. For those celebrating the weekend out in the water or on the trails, the Sheriff’s Office offers these safety tips:
- Alcohol use is the leading known contributing factor in recreational boater deaths and a leading contributor in boating accidents. Help keep everyone safe by not drinking alcohol while on the water, or operating a boat after you have consumed alcohol. Also, refrain from operating a boat when taking legal or illegal drugs as those too can dangerously impair your judgment and reaction time.
- The Trinity River is still experiencing high water flows, following scheduled water releases from the Lewiston Dam earlier this month. High water flows mean the river is moving faster than normal, creating hazardous swimming conditions. Those partaking in recreation on or near the river are encouraged to take appropriate safety precautions.
- All rivers are dynamic and conditions can change rapidly. Anyone swimming in our local rivers should take caution.
If enjoying Humboldt County’s beaches, be cautious near the water. To protect from sneaker waves and rip currents, never turn your back to the ocean and always swim with other people. If in doubt, don’t enter the surf.
- Even if you are just planning a short day hike, be sure to carry a flashlight, bring extra water and high-energy foods, pack a small first aid kit, dress properly for a hike and prepare for changes in the weather by bringing rain gear or a jacket. Be sure to tell somewhere where you are going and when you plan to return. Stay on an established trail and if in an unfamiliar area, bring a map.
- If camping this weekend, be sure to practice proper campfire safety. Keep your fire at a manageable size and be sure to supervise children and pets near the fire. Never leave your campfire unattended. When it’s time to extinguish the fire, pour water on all embers until hissing sounds stop. Remember if it’s too hot to touch, it’s too hot to leave. Read more about campfire safety here: https://smokeybear.com/en/prevention-how-tos/campfire-safety/how-to-maintain-and-extinguish-your-campfire
- Celebrate responsibly this Memorial Day weekend. Don’t drink alcohol and drive. Designate a sober driver or arrange a safe ride home if choosing to consume alcoholic beverages.
- Report drunk drivers by calling 9-1-1.
The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office wishes you a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend!