North Coast AIDS Project (NorCAP)
The North Coast AIDS Project (NorCAP) is a program of the Humboldt County Department of Health & Human Services’ Public Health’s Healthy Communities Division. NorCAP provides a variety of prevention, outreach and client services free of charge, including syringe services, testing, overdose prevention, Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), case management, housing assistance and insurance assistance.
For a free HIV test, email: email@example.com
Syringe Services Program (SSP)
SSPs are proven to reduce new HIV and hepatitis C infections among people who inject drugs and reduce syringe litter. The SSP mobile outreach van operates throughout the county. Call for a schedule and locations.
Outreach services include:
- Syringe exchange and disposal of used syringes
- Safer injection supplies
- Safer sex supplies
- Referrals for housing, medical insurance, health care and alcohol/drug treatment programs
- Hygiene kits.
Identifying undiagnosed HIV and hepatitis C infections is one of the most effective tools at preventing the spread of these viruses.
Testing services include:
- HIV and hepatitis C rapid testing
- Counseling around wound care, safe injection, etc.
- Linkages to care and treatment
- Partner notification services (assistance with talking to partners about HIV status).
People who use opioids such as heroin, Vicodin, Percocet, Norco, hydrocodone, fentanyl and others are at risk of an overdose.
Overdose prevention services include:
- Overdose prevention education
- Free Narcan/naloxone kits (to reverse an opioid overdose).
Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP)
NorCAP provides PrEP navigation services to Humboldt County residents. PrEP is a daily pill that an HIV negative person can take to reduce their chance of contracting HIV.
- Linkages to medical insurance and health care
- Medication payment assistance
- Education and support.
Education and Prevention
NorCAP provides educational presentations and trainings to inform and support people in preventing the spread of HIV/AIDS, hepatitis C and opioid overdose.
- Infection control
- Risk reduction
- Safer sex practices
- Support for behavior change
- HIV and hepatitis C
Information and Resources
Safer sex supplies are available as well as books, and pamphlets on:
- HIV and hepatitis C prevention
- HIV, hepatitis C and substance use treatment
- Overdose prevention
- Risk reduction.
NorCAP provides case management, health education, resource referrals and advocacy services for people living with HIV.
Services include linkages and referrals to:
- Medical specialists
- Drug and alcohol treatment programs
- Social services and CalFresh
- Food, housing and other supportive services.
NorCAP manages two housing assistance programs:
- Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS is an emergency housing assistance program to help people maintain their housing.
- HIV/AIDS Re-Housing Team is a rental assistance program that helps chronically homeless people who are living with HIV find housing.
AIDS Drugs Assistance Program (ADAP)
ADAP provides funding assistance to ensure that people living with HIV/AIDS have access to medications and, as of January 2018, PrEP as well.
- NorCAP provides assistance with accessing medical insurance.
- Medi-Cal / CMSP
- Covered California
- Office of AIDS Health Insurance Premium Payment.