California State law requires counties to provide for solid waste services as part of an integrated waste management plan which includes waste reduction and recycling as well as safe disposal of non-recyclable waste.
The Department contracts for waste collection through exclusive franchise agreements as authorized by the California Public Resources Code § 49200-49205.
State law also requires the County to continue monitoring its closed landfills, and to ensure the existence of a minimum of fifteen years of remaining capacity for waste disposal – Humboldt Waste Management Authority (HWMA).
The County is a member of the HWMA’s Joint Powers Authority which performs the requirement.
Expenditures for this division are paid for primarily through Solid Waste Franchise fees and fees collected by the HWMA and passed through to the County.
The county's franchised waste haulers perform solid waste and recycling collection services in the unincorporated areas of the County. Please contact the waste haulers directly to sign up for trash and/or recycling service.
To view the County's Solid Waste Franchise Agreements, please click on the appropriate tab below.
Recology Northern Humboldt Area Franchise Agreements and Amendments
- EOC A_R Franchise Agreement 4-26-11 (PDF)
- EOC Amd 14 Consolidation to Recology Eureka Area SWC Franchise Agreement (Consolidated) Partial Executed RM 6-28 (PDF)
- EOC Amd 15 _ 7-1-22 (PDF)
- EOC Amdt 1 _ 7-1-11 (PDF)
- EOC Amdt 10 _7-1-18 (PDF)
- EOC Amdt 11 _9-1-18 (PDF)
- EOC Amdt 12 _7-1-19 (PDF)
- EOC Amdt 13 _7-1-20 (PDF)
- EOC Amdt 2 _1-10-12_retro to 7-1-11 (PDF)
- EOC Amdt 3_ 7-1-12 (PDF)
- EOC Amdt 4 _7-1-13 (PDF)
- EOC Amdt 5 _7-1-14 (PDF)
- EOC Amdt 6 _10-1-14 (PDF)
- EOC Amdt 7 _7-1-15 (PDF)
- EOC Amdt 8 _7-1-16 (PDF)
- EOC Amdt 9 _7-1-17 (PDF)
Recology Southern Humboldt Area Franchise Agreements and Amendments
- Fortuna Fern Consolidation agreement S Hum 7.1.18 (PDF)
- Garberville ORIG eff 7-1-11 (PDF)
- Garberville South County Amend 10 - 9.1.18 (PDF)
- Garberville South County Amend 11 - 7.1.19 (PDF)
- Garberville South County Amend 12 - 7.1.20 (PDF)
- Garberville South County Amend 13 - 7.1.21 (PDF)
- Garberville South County Amend 14 - 7.1.22 (PDF)
South County Agreements Prior to 7_1_2018 Consolidation
- ERD FORTUNA Fern Amend 1 - 7.1.09 (PDF)
- ERD FORTUNA Fern Amend 2 - 10.1.09 (PDF)
- ERD FORTUNA Fern Amend 3 - 7.1.10 (PDF)
- ERD FORTUNA Fern Amend 4 - 7.1.11 (PDF)
- ERD FORTUNA Fern Amend 5 - 7.1.12 (PDF)
- ERD Fortuna Ferndale Amend eff 7-1-11 provision changes (PDF)
- FORTUNA Fern Amend 6 -7.1.13 (PDF)
- FORTUNA Fern Amend 7 - 7.1.14 (PDF)
- Fortuna Fern Amend 8 - 7.1.15 (PDF)
- Fortuna Fern Amend 9 - 7.1.16 (PDF)
Humboldt Sanitation Franchise Agreements and Amendments
- Amendment 1 HUM SAN 7-1-12 (PDF)
- Amendment 10 Humboldt Sanitation Fully Executed (PDF)
- Amendment 11 Humboldt Sanitation Fully Executed eff. 7-1-19 (PDF)
- Amendment 12 Executed Twelfth Amendment- Humboldt Sanitation Northwest SWC Franchise Agreement (PDF)
- Amendment 13 Humboldt Sanitation Executed (RM 6-28-21) (PDF)
- Amendment 14 Humboldt Sanitationeff. 7-1-22 (PDF)
- Amendment 2 HUMSAN Eff 1-1-13 (PDF)
- Amendment 3 HUM SAN FRANCHISE eff 7-1-13 (PDF)
- Amendment 4 HUM SAN eff. 7-1-14 (PDF)
- Amendment 5 Hum San Franchise 7-1-15 (PDF)
- Amendment 6 Hum San Blended eff 12-1-15 (PDF)
- Amendment 7 Hum San eff 7-1-16 (PDF)
- Amendment 8 Hum San eff 7-1-17 (PDF)
- Amendment 9 Humboldt Sanitation Fully Executed eff. 7-1-18 (PDF)
- HumSan Amend - 7.1.09_ (PDF)
- ORIG Humboldt Sanitation Franchise Agreement 12.13.11 (PDF)
Tom's Trash Franchise Agreements and Amendments
- 1st AMEND ERD WILLOWC 10-14-14_signed (PDF)
- 3rd AMEND ERD Willow Creek eff 7-1-16_signed (PDF)
- 4th AMEND ERD Willow Creek eff 7-1-17_signed (PDF)
- Amendment 2 Willow Creek eff 7-1-15_signed (PDF)
- Amendment 5 Toms Trash eff. 7-1-18_signed (PDF)
- Amendment 6 Toms Trash eff. 9-1-18_signed (PDF)
- Amendment 7 Toms Trash eff. 7-1-19_signed (PDF)
- Amendment 8 Toms Trash Willow Creek SWC Franchise Agreement (exe version)_exe (PDF)
- ASSIGN WILLOWC TO TOMS TRASH_signed (PDF)
- Eighth Amendment Toms Trash (PDF)
- ERD ORIG Willow Creek Jan-June 2011_signed (PDF)
- ERD Willow Creek 5-27-14 to 6-30-24 (PDF)
- Ninth Amendment Toms Trash (PDF)
- Toms eff 7-1-11 (PDF)
Humboldt County Solid Waste Local Task Force
The Humboldt County Integrated Solid Waste Management Local Task Force ("Local Task Force") was established to assist in the integrated management of solid waste as required by the California Integrated Waste Management Act of 1989 (AB 939). It is comprised of eight members, one member of each jurisdiction within Humboldt County and meets on the 4th Monday of January, April, July, and October from 11am-12:30pm.
The purpose of the Solid Waste Task Force is to:
- Assist in coordinating the review, revision and implementation of county and city source reduction and recycling elements, household hazardous waste elements, and non-disposal facility elements;
- Review the county-wide siting element;
- Ensure a coordinated and cost-effective regional integrated system for the management of waste by:
- Identifying new and ongoing solid waste management issues of county-wide or regional concern.
- Assisting, advising, and facilitating the development of solid waste collection systems, processing facilities, and marketing arrangements that can serve more than one local jurisdiction within the region.
- To the extent possible, facilitating resolution of conflicts and inconsistencies between or among city and county source reduction and recycling elements, household hazardous waste elements, and non-disposal facility elements.
- Develop goals, policies and procedures which are consistent with the guidelines and regulations adopted by the CalRecycle to guide the development of the county-wide integrated waste management plan.
- Review and comment, as required by the Local Enforcement Agency and CalRecycle, on proposed actions, programs and facilities which affect the management of solid waste and diverted materials in Humboldt County.
- Provide a forum for the public discussion of solid waste management, waste reduction, and recycling issues.
- Provide advice and other advisory tasks as requested by the jurisdictions of Humboldt County.
January 23, 2023 LTF Meeting Agenda
LTF Meeting Agendas
- 12.16.20 SWLTF Agenda (PDF)
- 18-10-15_HCLTF Agenda (PDF)
- 18-7-16_HCLTF Agenda (PDF)
- 19-07-11_HCLTF Agenda (PDF)
- 19-10-10_HCLTF Agenda (PDF)
- 20-1-9_SWLTF Agenda (PDF)
- April 25 2022 SWLTF Agenda (PDF)
- August 30 2021 SWLTF Agenda (PDF)
- Final 10.24.22 LTF Agenda Packet (PDF)
- Jan 31 2022 SWLTF Agenda (PDF)
- July 25 2022 SWLTF Agenda (PDF)
- July 6 2021 SWLTF Agenda (PDF)
- Nov 1 2021 SWLTF Agenda (PDF)
- October 12 2020 SWLTF Agenda (PDF)
- October 24 2022 SWLTF Agenda (PDF)
LTF Meeting Minutes
- 18-10-15_HCLTF Minutes (PDF)
- 18-7-16_HCLTF Minutes (PDF)
- 20-1-9 SWLTF Minutes (PDF)
- 20210324_LTF_Minutes (PDF)
- 20210830 SWLTF Agenda - MINUTES (PDF)
- 20211101_LTF_Minutes (PDF)
- 20220131_LTF_Minutes (PDF)
- 20220425_LTF_Minutes (PDF)
- 20220725_LTF_Minutes (PDF)
- MINUTES Dec 2020 SWLTF (PDF)
- October 12 2020 SWLTF Minutes (PDF)
- X.0 HCLTF Minutes September 29 2016 (PDF)
Table Bluff Landfill
The Solid Waste budget unit also provides for continued maintenance and testing of the closed Table Bluff Landfill, as well as maintenance of the Redway Transfer Station facilities. Net revenues are transferred to a trust fund to support future road and bridge repair and maintenance at the Redway Transfer Station as required by the 20-year Ground Lease Agreement with the State of California which terminates on March 31, 2030.
Solid Waste provides for management of the Table Bluff Closed Landfill located near Loleta. The site was used for waste disposal starting in the 1930s and was formally closed in 1979. The site is equipped with a leachate collection and treatment system, and is regulated by state agencies and the County Environmental Health Division. The Table Bluff closed landfill is subject to operation and maintenance requirements in perpetuity.