Public Works

Mission Statement
To provide services to the citizens of Humboldt County in a cooperative and responsive method within available resources.


The responsibilities of the Public Works Department include preparing plans and specifications, inspecting construction projects, maintaining County roads and bridges, managing County properties and right-of-way, preparing  environmental documents, obtaining regulatory permits, administering solid waste franchises and facilities, and  maintaining three County levee systems, County facilities, ten County Parks, County Trail systems and community forests, six County airport systems, Motor Pool and the Heavy Equipment Garage.  
Urban road emphasizing the sidewalk and landscape strip

ADA Access Service Request for County Maintained Roads
Do you need to report an accessibility problem with a County maintained road?  Click the link below to submit a request electronically or call the Department's Road Maintenance Division at 707-445.7421.

If the problem is related to road maintenance (such as reporting a pothole) and not ADA accessibility, use the Request for Service on County Maintained Roads Form. (See the next section below.)

ADA Access Service Request for County Maintained Roads Form

Request for Service on County Maintained Roads Form (Potholes, etc...)

Need to report a pothole or other road problem?  Request for Service on County Maintained Roads Form (Potholes, etc...)

If the problem is related to ADA accessibility, use the ADA Access Service Request for County Maintained Roads Form. (See the section above.)

Request for Service on County Maintained Roads Form (Potholes, etc...)

a paved road showing a recently patched pothole



EFFECTIVE 03/17/2020

UPDATED 03/19/2020

and until further notice the Humboldt County Department of Public Works offices, located at various locations, will limit access to their facilities to staff members only.  These procedures are subject to change without notice as conditions warrant.The Department’s operations will still continue, and we hope to return to normal procedures as soon as possible. 

County Parks:  

All County Parks are currently open at this time. Showers in parks that have them are closed; however restrooms remain open.

Road Maintenance, 1106 Second Street, Eureka

The Dispatcher will be available to take requests for service by phone, Monday-Thursday, 6:30am - 5:00pm., (707) 445-7421.

Concerns or requests can also be submitted on the Humboldt County Website.:Request for Service on County Maintained Roads Form (Potholes, etc...)

Engineering Projects, 1106 Second Street, Eureka

Plans and Specifications for Engineering projects are available on the County’s Webpage. Engineering Division Please e-mail  or call (707) 445-7652 to have your company’s name on the Planholders’ list.

Bid Opening will still be held at the Humboldt County Courthouse, however the location within the Courthouse may be relocated to a room large enough to achieve distancing.  

Please call (707) 445-7377 if you have questions.

Business Office, 1106 Second Street, Eureka

County Fuel Cards (Renner):  Distributing fuel cards will be suspended. In the case of an emergency, please call (707) 445-7652.

County Park Passes: Passes will only be available through US Mail. Please call (707) 445-7651, then press 9,  for directions.

Keys to River Access: Please call (707) 445-7491 to make arrangements.

Land Use Division, 3015 H Street, Eureka

Public Works inspections may be requested by calling (707) 445-7205 or by emailing

Encroachment Permit, Transportation Permit, Special Event Permit, Improvement Plans, Drainage Studies, etc. may be emailed to  Before submitting documents, please contact the Department at (707) 445-7205 to determine the best way to submit your documents. Documents may be submitted via U.S. Mail to 1106 Second Street, Eureka, CA, 95501; or by email.

Subdivision Maps, Record of Surveys, Boundary Corrections, and Corner Records may be emailed to

Access to the County Surveyor’s library is available by appointment only by calling (707) 445-7205.  Many survey documents may be found online at

Motor Pool, Second and J Streets, Eureka

County employees will have access to vehicles. Employees will be asked to fill out a Health Questionnaire before being issued a vehicleKeys and vehicles will be sanitized between uses. Reservations procedures will still be in place. (707) 445-7374.

Natural Resource Planning, 1105 6th Street, Eureka

Please use e-mail or phone.