FAQ module icon

Frequently Asked Questions

What development does zoning allow?
Individual zoning classifications, commonly known as districts or designations, are described in the Coastal Zoning Regulations and Inland Zoning Regulations. These regulations affect all residential structures such as dwellings, home additions, fences, swimming pools, and garages, as well as all commercial and other structures like offices, barns and lumber mills.

Zoning regulations also control what is allowed in specific areas of the county. For example, a property owner typically can conduct a business in a commercial area but not in a residential area except under limited conditions. Similarly, industrial uses are allowed in industrial areas and limited in agricultural areas. In Humboldt County, zoning designations increasingly allow a mixture of compatible uses, such as apartments above shops and offices.

Zoning regulations also contain combining zones and other standards may also apply to a property. A more detailed explanation of combining zones can be found below.

The purpose of the Zoning Regulations is to implement the county’s general plan in part by regulating development in accordance with this plan. At the same time, they also help to minimize conflicts resulting from incompatible uses.

Zoning classifications are described in the Coastal Zoning Regulations and Inland Zoning Regulations. These documents are available from the Plans and Ordinances page.

Show All Answers

1. What is an assessor’s parcel number?
2. How do I find out if my parcel is the city or in the county?
3. What is a zoning classification?
4. What development does zoning allow?
5. What is a land use designation?
6. What is a combining zone?
7. What are building setbacks?
8. What is the minimum parcel size?
9. What permits are required to build, rebuild or remodel a house?
10. What’s the difference between building in the coastal zone and the inland areas?
11. How do I research if a property is in the coastal zone?
12. Can I place a manufactured home on my property?
13. Are accessory dwelling units allowed on a property?
14. How tall can a fence be built?
15. Are horses, chickens, goats or other domesticated animals allowed in residential zones?
16. Can I remove trees from a property?
17. Can a person live in a travel trailer on a property?
18. How do I determine if a lot was legally created?
19. Are there any easements that affect a property?
20. Is my property subject to flooding?
21. What is a nonconforming structure or use?
22. If an old structure burns down, can it be rebuilt?
23. Can a house be remodeled if it does not meet the required setbacks?
24. Can a parcel be subdivided?
25. What is the basic process for getting a building permit?
26. What is the basic process for getting a planning permit?
27. What are typical fees for a planning permit?
28. How do I get help applying for a planning permit?
29. I’m thinking about buying a property. How can I research more about it?
30. How do I research which zones allow a particular use?
31. What is the difference between a principally permitted use and a conditionally permitted use?
32. What is the process for annexing a parcel into a city?
33. Does the county enforce covenants, conditions, or restrictions in subdivisions?
34. Click here to return to the Planning and Building Department