Building Inspection


The County of Humboldt is required to provide a building permitting and inspection program by the California Health and Safety Code, the Business and Professions Code and the California Administrative Code.
As part of the Planning and Building Department, Building Inspection is responsible for:
  • Collecting fees
  • Conducting field inspections
  • Processing building permit applications
  • Resolving building code violations
  • Reviewing construction plans

Water Conserving Plumbing Fixture Requirement

On and after January 1, 2014, residential buildings undergoing permitted alterations, additions or improvements shall replace noncompliant plumbing fixtures with water conserving plumbing fixtures. Plumbing fixture replacement is required prior to issuance of a certificate of final completion, certificate of occupancy or final permit approval by the local building department.

Safe Homes Program

Effective October 25, 2017 the Board of Supervisors approved a Safe Homes Program. This program will allow residential structures and residential accessory structures to be permitted with a waiver of penalty fees. (Standard permit fees will apply.) For more information, contact the Humboldt County Planning & Building Department at 445-7245.

Download the Safe Homes Program documentation.

Download the Safe Homes Program documentation - Alternative Owner-Builder Permits.

Online Resources

OnTrack Customer Portal is an online resource for customers to check permit status, download documents, schedule inspections, submit a plot plan for preliminary review, and view the daily inspection routes. To learn more, please read our OnTrack Overview (PDF).

WebGIS is our online resource for maps and other data layers from our Geographic Information System. This system can be used to research whether a parcel is in a flood zone, state responsibility area or qualifies for alternate owner builder.