FAQ module icon

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I request a record?

There are different ways to request a record held by the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office depending on the type of record you are seeking. Read the categories below to find out which is right for you. 

Requesting Police Reports / Copies of Cases

The Humboldt County Sheriff's Office has an established process for requesting copies of cases, police reports, and other information gathered during a law enforcement investigation entitled to specific individuals as defined in California Government Code § 6254(f): the victims of an incident, or an authorized representative thereof, an insurance carrier against which a claim has been or might be made, and any person suffering bodily injury or property damage or loss as a result of the below listed crimes. Additionally, autopsy and toxicology reports may be requested by any member of the public utilizing this records request process.

If you meet the above criteria, please use our online Records Request Form or download the PDF version of this form and return to the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office Main Station or via email at sheriffrecords@co.humboldt.ca.us. Following completion of this form, your request will be processed by the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office Records Division within 7 to 10 business days. You will be notified when records are available for pick up. All fees are due at the time of pick up. 

Download PDF Form

California Public Records Act (CPRA) Request

All requests for general records in the possession of the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office (ex. emails, training policies, contracts, statistics) should be directed to the Sheriff's Office by making a California Public Records Request. It is preferred but not required that such requests be submitted via the County's website, or in writing and forwarded by regular mail, email, fax, or hand-delivery and state that the request is being made pursuant to the California Public Records Act (CPRA). Telephonic and in-person verbal requests will be accepted only during regular county office business hours Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and should be directed to the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office.

Requests for records should be as specific as possible so as to clearly define or identify the exact records to which access is sought. In most cases, the county will provide electronic copies or photocopies of the requested records to the requesting party. In some cases depending on the volume or nature of the records, arrangements will be made for supervised access to the requested records.

Show All Answers

1. What is California Senate Bill 1421 (SB-1421)?
2. What categories of records must be made public under SB-1421?
3. What does "sustained finding" mean?
4. If I request a qualifying record, will I get every part of the record, in its entirety?
5. Aside from the mandated information is there anything else that the Department can choose to redact?
6. Can the Department withhold a record that falls into one of the disclosure categories?
7. How long will it take to get my requested record(s)?
8. How will I get my redacted records?
9. What is Senate Bill 978?
10. What is Assembly Bill 481?
11. Where are the audio/video files associated with the released SB 1421/ AB 748 records?
12. How do I request a record?
13. Are there costs associated with obtaining a record held by the Sheriff's Office?