FAQ module icon

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I request records/research?

Requesting Police Reports / Copies of Cases

The Humboldt County Sheriff's Office has an established process for requesting copies of cases and other information gathered during a law enforcement investigation entitled to specific individuals as defined in California Government Code § 6254(f): the victims of an incident, or an authorized representative thereof, an insurance carrier against which a claim has been or might be made, and any person suffering bodily injury or property damage or loss as a result of the below listed crimes. Additionally, autopsy and toxicology reports may be requested by any member of the public utilizing this records request process.

If you meet the above criteria, please use our online Records Request Form or download the PDF version of this form and return to the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office Main Station or via email at sheriffrecords@co.humboldt.ca.us. Following completion of this form, your request will be processed by the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office Records Division within 7 to 10 business days. You will be notified when records are available for pick up. All fees are due at the time of pick up. 

Download PDF Form

California Public Records Act (CPRA) Request

All requests for records in the possession of the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office should be directed to the Sheriff's Office or the County Administrative Office. It is preferred but not required that such requests be submitted via the County's website, or in writing and forwarded by regular mail, email, fax, or hand-delivery and state that the request is being made pursuant to the California Public Records Act (CPRA). Telephonic and in-person verbal requests will be accepted only during regular county office business hours Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and should be directed to the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office.

Requests for records should be as specific as possible so as to clearly define or identify the exact records to which access is sought. In most cases, the county will provide electronic copies or photocopies of the requested records to the requesting party. In some cases depending on the volume or nature of the records, arrangements will be made for supervised access to the requested records.

Show All Answers

1. What is the phone number for the Records Division?
2. When can I have my Live Scan fingerprints taken?
3. How much does Live Scan fingerprinting cost?
4. How can I obtain my criminal History?
5. Do I have a warrant?
6. Where do I need to go to register?
7. How do I request records/research?
8. What do I do if online incident reporting is not right for me?
9. What if this happened in another city? Can I file a report using this online police citizen reporting system?
10. What if this happened on a state Freeway?
11. What is a known suspect?