FAQ module icon

Frequently Asked Questions

What types of documents can be recorded?

Any document affecting title to real property that is authorized or required by law to be recorded.  Including such documents as Grant Deeds, Deed of Trusts, Mechanic’s Liens, Tax Liens and Reconveyances.  The recording requirements are established by California Statutes.

Show All Answers

1. What types of documents can be recorded?
2. How do I transfer Title?
3. Will the Recorder’s Office help me prepare my document?
4. What is documentary transfer tax?
5. How do I release a Lien?
6. What does the Recorder’s office mean by “document is not legible?”
7. What is a Conformed Copy?
8. How do I find out what has been recorded on a particular property?
9. How do I obtain a copy of a document?
10. How can I search the Official Records online?
11. What happens to my document after it is recorded?
12. May I use an INFORMATIONAL ONLY Death Certificate as an attachment on my Affidavit of Death recording?