FAQ module icon

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a Public Defender?
You must attend the first court appearance as instructed by the court, District Attorney's office, probation department, or other law enforcement. At your first court appearance the judge will ask you if you have an attorney or if you need a Public Defender. You may ask for a Public Defender at that time. The judge will give you further instructions on filling out a financial form to provide proof that you are indigent. That means that we can help you if you lack the current ability to hire an attorney for your particular situation. If you have no income or assets you probably qualify for a Public Defender. If you have some income or assets a determination will have to be made to see if you qualify as indigent for your particular situation.

Show All Answers

1. What are my rights if I've been arrested/charged with a crime?
2. Who can get advice from the Law Offices of the Public Defender?
3. Are Public Defenders real attorneys?
4. What do Public Defender's do?
5. How do I get a Public Defender?
6. Are all "appointed attorneys" employees of the law offices of the Public Defender?
7. If my ability to speak, read, or understand English is limited can you still help me?
8. What type of support staff does the Public Defender employ in the defense of its clients?
9. How does a criminal case get started?
10. What happens to the information I give the Public Defender's office?
11. What's going to happen to me in court?
12. Someone called the police about me and now they want to drop the charges, why are the police and the prosecutor charging me?
13. What is a felony charge?
14. What is a misdemeanor charge?
15. Can I expunge my case?