FAQ module icon

Frequently Asked Questions

What development does zoning allow?
Individual zoning classifications, commonly known as districts or designations, are described in the Coastal Zoning Regulations and Inland Zoning Regulations. These regulations affect all residential structures such as dwellings, home additions, fences, swimming pools, and garages, as well as all commercial and other structures like offices, barns and lumber mills.

Zoning regulations also control what is allowed in specific areas of the county. For example, a property owner typically can conduct a business in a commercial area but not in a residential area except under limited conditions. Similarly, industrial uses are allowed in industrial areas and limited in agricultural areas. In Humboldt County, zoning designations increasingly allow a mixture of compatible uses, such as apartments above shops and offices.

Zoning regulations also contain combining zones and other standards may also apply to a property. A more detailed explanation of combining zones can be found in the general FAQ.

The purpose of the Zoning Regulations is to implement the county’s general plan in part by regulating development in accordance with this plan. At the same time, they also help to minimize conflicts resulting from incompatible uses.

Zoning classifications are described in the Coastal Zoning Regulations and Inland Zoning Regulations which can be found on our Plans and Ordinances page.

Show All Answers

1. Is this lot “buildable”?
2. Is this lot within the Resort Improvement District’s service area?
3. What is the zoning for this lot? Is this lot located within the Coastal Zone?
4. What development does zoning allow?
5. What permits are required for development in Shelter Cove?
6. What is design review?
7. What are violations? Are there any violations on this parcel?
8. What is the basic process for getting a building permit?
9. What is the basic process for getting a planning permit?
10. What are typical fees for a planning permit?
11. Where can I get more Information?
12. Click here to return to the Planning and Building Department