Updated quarantine and isolation guidance for individuals testing positive for COVID-19, regardless of vaccination status, is now available. The new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance allows for shortened isolation.
Individuals who test positive for COVID-19 should contact their primary care provider. If severely ill with COVID-19, isolate for at least 10 days.
If experiencing mild or no symptoms, it is recommended to stay home for at least five days and isolate from others. Isolation may end early after five full days if an individual:
- Is fever-free for 24 hours (without the use of fever-reducing medication)
- Has symptoms that are improving
- Tests negative using an antigen test.
If ending isolation early, the CDC recommends taking the following extra precautions until day 10:
- Wear a well-fitting mask for 10 full days when around others at home or in public. Do not visit places if unable to wear a mask
- Avoiding travel
- Avoiding being around people who are high risk.
To isolate at home, one should:
- Seek medical care immediately if experiencing the following symptoms –trouble breathing, chest pain or pressure, confusion or inability to stay awake
- Inform contacts and primary care provider of positive test results
- Stay in a separate room from other household members
- Use a separate bathroom, if possible – sanitize and ventilate bathroom between uses
- Improve ventilation at home – use forced-air heating and fans, open windows and use air cleaners
- Avoid contact with other household members and pets
- Don’t share personal household items, like cups, towels and utensils
- Wear a well-fitting mask when around other people.
Questions about isolation and quarantine guidance may be directed to the Humboldt County COVID Information Call Center at 1-707-441-5000.
Sign up for COVID-19 vaccination: MyTurn.ca.gov
Check for vaccine availability at a local pharmacy: Vaccines.gov
Local COVID-19 vaccine information: humboldtgov.org/VaccineInfo
Humboldt County COVID-19 Data Dashboard: humboldtgov.org/Dashboard
Follow us on Facebook: @HumCoCOVID19
Humboldt Health Alert: humboldtgov.org/HumboldtHealthAlert