A total of 2,907 Humboldt County residents have tested positive for COVID-19, after 30 additional cases were reported today. Eleven new hospitalizations related to COVID-19 also were reported today:
- Two people in their 20s
- One person in their 30s
- Two people in their 40s
- Two people in their 50s
- One person in their 60s
- Three people in their 70s.
Humboldt County Public Health officials said this increase in hospitalizations is a reminder that anyone can develop symptoms of COVID-19 that require medical treatment, especially those with underlying health conditions. They went on to urge county residents to continue following safety measures to prevent infections, adding that cases and hospitalizations often follow gatherings, celebrations and events like those typically associated with this weekend’s Super Bowl.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says gathering virtually or with one’s own household is the safest way to watch the Super Bowl this year. For those who do choose to host or attend a gathering, health officials recommend the following:
- Stay home if you are sick or have been near someone who thinks they may have COVID-19 or have been exposed to the virus.
- Wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth with two or more layers. Masks should be worn indoors and outdoors, except when eating or drinking.
- Bring your own food, drinks, plates, cups, utensils and condiments. Avoid buffets and self-serve food options.
- Stay at least 6 feet away from others.
- Avoid direct contact—including handshakes, hugs and chest bumps—with those not from your household.
Go to cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/holidays/small-gatherings.html for more information on celebrating safely.
For the most recent COVID-19 information, visit cdc.gov or cdph.ca.gov. Local information is available at humboldtgov.org or during business hours by contacting email@example.com or calling 707-441-5000.
Local COVID-19 vaccine information: humboldtgov.org/vaccineinfo
Humboldt County COVID-19 Data Dashboard: humboldtgov.org/dashboard
Follow us on Facebook: @HumCoCOVID19
Humboldt Health Alert: humboldtgov.org/HumboldtHealthAlert
Graph depicting Humboldt County’s hospitalizations related to COVID-19 by week from Jan. 3 to Feb. 5, 2021. Attribution: Humboldt County Joint Information Center.