The Humboldt County Department of Health & Human Services Division of Environmental Health (DEH) would like to remind owners of non-standard onsite wastewater treatment systems (OWTS) – including mounds, at-grade, and pressure distribution systems, or any system that requires a pump, to be prepared for the potential multiple day power outage.
An OWTS operated by a pump will not be able to transfer wastewater from the septic tank and pump chamber to the disposal field during a power outage. Therefore, it is important to minimize the use of the septic system to prevent overflow of the septic tank and pump chamber. DEH offers the following recommendations to minimize risk of sewage overflow:
- Manually pump down the water level in your pump tank prior to the power outage to increase storage capacity in your system
- Limit toilet flushing to solid waste
- Wash dishes outside or in a tub, not in a sink
- Monitor the water level in your pump chamber
- If necessary, contact a septic pumping company to pump your tank prior to an overflow
- Reduce water going down the drain.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact DEH at 707-445-6215 or by email at ENVhealth@co.humboldt.ca.us
Follow us on Twitter: @HumCoDHHS and