FAQ module icon

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can get advice from the Law Offices of the Public Defender?
Attorneys from the Law Offices of the Public Defender are authorized to assist and represent people in certain situations if they are "indigent". That means that we can help you if you lack the current ability to hire an attorney for your particular situation. If you have no income or assets you probably qualify for our assistance. If you have some income or assets, a determination will have to be made to see if you meet the definition of "indigent" in your particular case or situation.

Show All Answers

1. What are my rights if I've been arrested/charged with a crime?
2. Who can get advice from the Law Offices of the Public Defender?
3. Are Public Defenders real attorneys?
4. What do Public Defender's do?
5. How do I get a Public Defender?
6. Are all "appointed attorneys" employees of the law offices of the Public Defender?
7. If my ability to speak, read, or understand English is limited can you still help me?
8. What type of support staff does the Public Defender employ in the defense of its clients?
9. How does a criminal case get started?
10. What happens to the information I give the Public Defender's office?
11. What's going to happen to me in court?
12. Someone called the police about me and now they want to drop the charges, why are the police and the prosecutor charging me?
13. What is a felony charge?
14. What is a misdemeanor charge?
15. Can I expunge my case?