County of Humboldt


Does everyone living in my home have to get CalFresh benefits?

If you are living with other people who are not part of your immediate family, you can apply for just yourself, your family, and the others who purchase and prepare food with you. Youth up to the age of 22 cannot be considered a separate household if they live with their parents.

Does everyone in my home have to be a U.S. citizen to get CalFresh benefits?

United States citizens and some foreign nationals admitted for permanent residency may qualify for CalFresh benefits. Those in the country illegally do not qualify, but are not reported to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Is there a limit on the amount of property I can own and still get CalFresh benefits?

At this time California doesn’t consider property for CalFresh eligibility.

What do I have to do to maintain eligibility?

A report will be mailed to you which must be completed and returned. If your circumstances change, your CalFresh benefits may also change based on the reported income, housing costs and number of people in the household. You will be notified of any change in a letter if your benefit amount changes.

What if I lose my electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card?

Your EBT card can be replaced at the main Social Services Office at:
929 Koster St.
Eureka, CA 95501

Or, you can order a new card by calling Customer Service at 877-328-9677.

Can I sell or trade my CalFresh benefits or my electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card?

It is illegal to sell the benefits on your EBT card or exchange those benefits for cash or any other item.

What if I disagree with an action taken by the county?

You have the right to appeal any decision made by the county, including the benefit amount, the way it was computed, and any action to discontinue your benefits. Instructions for filing an appeal can be found on the back of any notice of action you receive, or you can call 800-952-5253 (TDD: 800-952-8349).

How do I get my CalFresh benefits?

Your benefits will be available every month on a plastic electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card. Your card will be automatically reloaded during each month of eligibility.

You may pick up your EBT card at the CalFresh office where you will select a code (Personal Identification Number, or PIN.)

With the EBT card and your secret code, you will be able to access your CalFresh benefits at any grocery store or farmers market that has a card reader with the Quest logo.

What will happen when I apply?

You may be given an appointment to return on another day to complete your application process or to complete a phone interview. Make sure you sign and date the application form during your 1st visit to the office. This will determine the day your benefits will begin.

Will I be fingerprinted?

Fingerprinting is no longer necessary when applying for CalFresh.

How long will it take to process my application?

The county has a maximum of 30 days to process your application. If you have a food emergency, you may request a faster response.

How will I know if my application has been approved?

You will be notified by mail telling you what your monthly benefits will be, or you can call toll free at 877-410-8809.