Donating Books, & More
The Main Library in Eureka can now accept books
- On Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon.
Please see 'What to Donate' below.
For other libraries, please call ahead of time to find out if they can accept donated books during the pandemic. Many can't.
Why Do Some Libraries Ask You Not to Bring Used Books Now?
Normally we love to get donations of used books, music, and dvds in good condition. They are accepted and sorted by volunteers from the Friends of the Library.
These volunteers (many in high-risk groups) may not yet have returned to your library while COVID is still prevalent in our community. Without volunteers, there's no one to handle donated books (it's a labor of love, but it takes a lot of time!)
What to Donate
The Friends of the Redwood Libraries Welcome Donations of the Following Materials
- Hardcover & Paperback Books in Good Condition
- Audiobooks on CD or Cassette
- Music CDs and Vinyl Records
- DVDs and Video/Computer Games
- Comics & Graphic Novels
We are Unable to Accept the Materials Below
- Books which are missing pages, smelly, warped, torn, stained, mildewed, damaged, wet, or in poor condition
- Textbooks & Reference Materials Older than 5 years
- Reader's Digest Condensed Books or Time-Life Sets
- Magazines, Periodicals, or Professional Journals
- VHS Videos, Music on Cassettes, Older Computer Software
- AudioVisual Media that is Copied, Incomplete, or Without Original Case & Notes.
Disposal of such items costs money and reduces funds available to the library for the purchase of new materials. Please sort your load to be sure that materials like those listed above are not included with your donation.
Book Donation Policy
The following guidelines apply to donated materials:
- All donations become the property of the library. Librarians will evaluate donated materials to determine which will be added to the library collection. Content and format, condition, number of copies already in the collection, the need to provide a balanced collection, patron interest and other considerations may affect whether or not a book is added to the collection.
- Donations that are not added to the collection will be given to the Friends of the Redwood Libraries. They will be offered for sale in their book sales, in the bookstore, or online. Proceeds are returned to the library and are used to purchase new materials.
- Donations that are not appropriate for the collection and not appropriate for book sales will be discarded.
Receipts are Available
Receipts noting the number of items donated are available on request. A determination of the fair market value of donated materials for tax purposes is the responsibility of the donor.
If you would like to donate money specifically for buying new books, you are invited to give via the Humboldt Library Foundation's Buy-a-Book Campaign.