Humboldt County Fire Safe Council
Need help reducing flammable vegetation?
Help us understand your wildfire preparedness needs. Assistance may be available through the Fire-adapted Landscapes And Safe Homes Program (FLASH) or other opportunities.
Complete the Hazardous Fuels Reduction Interest Form Online.
For assistance filling out the form, call (707) 296-1498 or email the FSC Coordinator.
Community Wildfire Protection Plan
The 2019 Humboldt County Community Wildfire Protection Plan (CWPP) is the culmination of two years of collaboration among the members of the Humboldt County Fire Safe Council (HCFSC). The final draft was certified by the Board of Supervisors, CAL FIRE, and Humboldt County Fire Chiefs’ Association.
Fire Safe Council Responsibilities
The Humboldt County Board of Supervisors (Board) formed the Humboldt County Fire Safe Council (FSC) in 2002. Periodically, the Board passes a resolution to renew the FSC, recognizing that community-based fire planning efforts assist residents in making their homes, neighborhoods, and communities fire safe; the resolution is updated periodically to allow for changes in membership. The members of the BOS continue to support the FSC so that it may oversee the maintenance and implementation of the Humboldt County Community Wildfire Protection Plan (CWPP) and, when appropriate, to inform and make recommendations to the Board.
The mission of the Humboldt County Fire Safe Council is to:
- Serve as a forum for the implementation of the CWPP.
- Share fire-safety related information.
- Assess fire risk.
- Promote community fire-safe planning and coordination.
- Link fire-prevention programs.
- Support beneficial fire (prescribed fire, cultural burning, and managed wildfire where appropriate)
- Support the fire service (including local volunteer fire departments and companies) and local Fire Safe Councils / Firewise Communities.