Humboldt County Fire Safe Council
Help us understand your wildfire preparedness needs!
Are you struggling to prepare your home and property to survive the impacts of wildfire? Do you need support to manage wildfire prone vegetation (hazardous fuels) around your home, along your access routes, or in strategic locations on your property?
Fill out the Hazardous Vegetation Reduction Interest Form to help us help you.
- Some Humboldt County Fire Safe Council member organizations and agencies have received or are in the process of seeking grant funds to support services for people like you. The more we know about your needs, the easier it will be to connect you to services under existing programs and/or make the case for securing more funding to expand services.
- Examples of active programs that you might be eligible for include, the Fire-adapted Landscapes And Safe Homes Program (FLASH) and direct defensible space assistance for priority populations like people who fall into a low income bracket, are over the age of 65, and/or are unable to perform manual labor due to a disability. You could also be connected with local fire safe councils that run volunteer chipper programs or offer fuels reduction crews for hire.
- For assistance filling out the form, call (707) 296-1498 or email the FSC Coordinator.
Community Wildfire Protection Plan
The 2019 Humboldt County Community Wildfire Protection Plan (CWPP) is the culmination of two years of collaboration among the members of the Humboldt County Fire Safe Council (HCFSC). The final draft was certified by the Board of Supervisors, CAL FIRE, and Humboldt County Fire Chiefs’ Association.
Fire Safe Council Responsibilities
The Humboldt County Board of Supervisors (Board) formed the Humboldt County Fire Safe Council (FSC) in 2002. The members of the Board continue to support the FSC so that it may oversee the maintenance and implementation of the Humboldt County Community Wildfire Protection Plan (CWPP) and, when appropriate, to inform and make recommendations to the Board. View the current Board Resolution governing the FSC on the Members, Agendas, & Minutes page.
Fire Safe Councils can take many forms and operate at different scales—learn more on our our local Fire Safe Councils page.
The mission of the Humboldt County Fire Safe Council is to:
- Serve as a forum for the implementation of the CWPP.
- Share fire-safety related information.
- Assess fire risk.
- Promote community fire-safe planning and coordination.
- Link fire-prevention programs.
- Support beneficial fire (prescribed fire, cultural burning, and managed wildfire where appropriate)
- Support the fire service (including local volunteer fire departments and companies) and local Fire Safe Councils / Firewise Communities.