Formerly called food stamps, CalFresh provides eligible households with an electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card that works just like a debit card and can be used at most grocery stores and farmers markets to ensure access to healthy foods. CalFresh is a nutrition supplement and is not intended to meet a family’s entire food need.
Individual adults and families may qualify for nutrition assistance based on a number of factors including income and family size. To apply, submit an application with your name, address and a valid signature. Anything else needed to determine eligibility will be reviewed and requested at your interview. You may receive CalFresh benefits within three days of your application date if you qualify for “expedited service.”
To qualify for expedited services, a household must:
- Have less than $150 in monthly income and less than $100 in liquid resources (cash, savings or checking)
- Have housing costs that are more than its monthly income and liquid resources
- Be a migrant/seasonal farm worker whose liquid resources do not exceed $100
Every case is reviewed for expedited services, and it is always OK to ask to have your case reviewed for expedited service processing with an Eligibility Specialist. For more information and commonly asked questions, please see the FAQs to the right.
- Use CalFresh benefits at selected online retailers with your EBT card. For more information, see this CalFresh flyer, or visit EBT Online.
- To see all stores that accept EBT benefits visit the CA EBT Locator site: CA EBT Locator.
- Applications and interviews can be completed over the phone.
- SSI recipients and previous drug felons are eligible to apply for CalFresh.
- Property ownership no longer affects ability to qualify for CalFresh.
- Apply at one of four DHHS locations throughout the county:
- Eureka 929 Koster St., Monday -Friday, 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
- Hoopa 535 Airport Road, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Closed for lunch from noon to 1 p.m.
- Fortuna 3306 Renner Drive, Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Closed for lunch from noon to 1 p.m.
- Garberville 3156 Redwood Drive, Redway, Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Closed for lunch from noon to 1 p.m.
- BenefitsCal.com is a new way to apply for, view and renew benefits for health coverage, food and cash assistance.
Click, Call or Come In to apply! Visit BenefitsCal.com and GetCalFresh.org, call the Eureka Call Center at 1-877-410-8809 or come into one of our office locations. You can also mail in your application to 929 Koster St. in Eureka or fax a completed application to 707-269-3598.