Humboldt Room Local History Collection
The Humboldt Room is Now Open on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
No appointment is necessary.
The Humboldt Room is located on the second floor of the Eureka Main Library. Here you will find a unique collection of documents and materials of local significance.
In addition to other genealogy and local history resources, collections and services include:
- California Indian Collection
- CCTV Magnifier
- Cemetery Records
- Census and Tax Rolls
- High School Yearbooks
- Historical Maps
- Humboldt County Ancestral Quest Data File, with over 100,000 entries, a file created and periodically updated by Larry Allen.
- Humboldtiana (memorabilia, including select books by local authors)
- Inventory of Historical Homes from the Eureka Heritage Society.
- Eureka, an Architectural View (book).
- Vellutini Collection (microfilm)
- Lectures on Topics in Local History, in Cooperation with the Humboldt County Historical Society
- Local History Research Service (see below)
- Obituary Search Service (see below)
- Steenfott Photographs and Shades of Humboldt Historical Photographs
- Susie Baker Fountain Papers, a Chronicle and Clippings File Covering Local History from 1850 to 1966, with Full Index (see sidebar)
- Western Americana Collection (Microfilm & Microfiche, annotated bibliography in book form)
The Humboldt Historian
The Humboldt County Historical Society publishes a journal that delves into local history, the Humboldt Historian. Recent editions are available online (membership fee required). Older editions are indexed. Paper indexes and issues are located here in the Humboldt Room, and the index can also be searched online using the California State Library Information File II - just type Humboldt Historian and your topic in the search box.
Obituary Search Service
If you are searching for an obituary that may have been published in a local newspaper, and you do not live in Humboldt County, you may request an obituary search by mail. This service costs ten dollars. For more information, view our Obituary Search Request Form. Humboldt County Residents can get free help in finding an obituary by visiting the Main Library Reference Desk.
Local History Search Service
If you need local historical facts but are not a resident of Humboldt County, you may use this service to have local library research done on your behalf. There is a ten dollar fee for each specific information request. Use the Local History Search Request Form. Requests will be searched in the order received. If you are in Humboldt County, Reference Librarians and Humboldt Room Docents will be happy to assist you in finding information here in the library at no cost. Just stop by the information desk.
The California State Library
California's State Library offers many resources for people doing local research on California places and events, including those of Humboldt County. Here's a guide to get you started using their Humboldt-related materials. Some are digitized and available online!