Apply to be an Election Worker

Thank you for your interest in applying to become an election worker! Your participation is vital to the democratic process.

To qualify to become a vote center worker, you must:

  • Be a registered California voter
  • Represent Humboldt County by providing high quality customer service to voters
  • Attend the required vote center training courses
  • Serve at your assigned vote center for the duration of the voting period
  • Be able to read and write in English

Unregistered individuals are also welcome to apply if:

  • You are a legal US residents who would be eligible to vote except for your citizenship status, or
  • You are an eligible high school student age 16 to 17; please refer to the California Secretary of State (SOS) website for more details.

Visit the SOS Website for Student Election Worker Information

Successful applicants should be free to serve up to an hour before the polls open and an hour or more after the polls close, across multiple days (with exceptions for high school students).

The polls are open from 8am-5pm during the Early Voting period, and from 7am-8pm on Election Day.

Vote Centers open in different locations on staggered schedules. Early voting begins at the Office of Elections 29 days prior to and including Election Day. Some Vote Centers are open 11 days before the election for early voting. Additional Vote Centers are open 4 days before the election, and all are open on Election Day.

Election Workers which include Vote Center Managers, Vote Center Staff and Extra Help must apply to become temporary county workers.

Ballot Transporters will receive a  daily stipend plus mileage.

Once you have completed the Election Worker or Ballot Transporter application, you can submit it to the Office of Elections via email at or mail it directly to our office at 2426 6th St., Eureka, CA 95501.