- County Homepage
- Planning & Building
- Cannabis Grant Programs
- Renewable Energy Grant Program
Renewable Energy Grant Program
Funding for Cannabis Cultivators to Transition to Renewable Energy
The Renewable Energy Grant Program provides funding to permitted and licensed cannabis cultivators so that they may add renewable energy systems to their property--an important step in the transition to an annual state license. The Program is funded by the Department of Cannabis Control (DCC)’s Environmental Compliance and Equity Fund. Up to $30,000 of funds per parcel will be available for eligible projects.
The deadline to submit your online application was 5pm PST on Friday, September 2, 2022.
For more information, please refer to the Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA). You may also review a mock-up application.
- Who is Eligible?
- What Projects can be funded?
- Application Review and Award Selection
- Frequestly Asked QUestions
All of the following criteria must be met:
- The applicant holds both of the following -
- A valid License for cultivation from the DCC; and
- A valid Permit or Interim Permit for cultivation from the Humboldt County Planning and Building Department
- All Humboldt County cultivation taxes and permitting invoices are current
- The cultivation operation is NOT connected to the commercial power grid
- The proposed renewable energy infrastructure either:
- Has not yet been purchased; or
- Was purchased no earlier than January 22, 2022
- No trees will be removed to complete the project
1. Engineering, purchase and installation of renewable energy system infrastructure.
2. Connection to the commercial power grid.
2. Other expenses may also be funded if reductions in reliance on fossil fuels use are documented.
3. Permitting fees for the above-listed items.
1. Submit Application. Applicant completes and submits the online application form prior to 5pm PST on Friday, September 2, 2022.
2. Staff Review. Planning and Building staff will review all applications for completeness and eligibility, and will rank them.
- Legal status of parcel will be confirmed. Funds will only be awarded to projects on legal parcels per the CA Subdivision Map Act.
- Applications will be ranked using the uploaded attachments and the answers in the "Ranking Criteria" section of the application. "Yes" answers in the Ranking Criteria will rank higher than "no" answers.
- For applications with the same ranking criteria score, priority will be given according to the date the complete application was received, with the earliest application ranked first.
3. Awards Decision. The Board of Supervisors will decide which applications are approved for funding. We anticipate the Board of Supervisors will consider funding projects at their October 25, 2022 meeting.
Other Documents to Reference
*Application Assistance: If an applicant does not have the ability to apply online, assistance is available from the Humboldt County Planning and Building Department at (707) 267-9408 or at our office location at 3015 H Street, Eureka, CA 95501.
**If the County pays you directly, that is considered by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to be taxable income and you will be required to pay federal and state taxes on it.
***Applications may be subject to public disclosure pursuant to the California Public Records Act.