Apply for a Marriage License
Please review all the information on this page before moving forward to the marriage license application.
- Review the information and instructions on this page then go to the Self-Service Web to fill out your marriage license application.
- All applicants must begin the application process through Self-Service Web and verify the form is filled out completely and correctly.
- Choose Credit Card in checkout. Or pay with cash, money order, or credit card in-office. (no checks accepted for license or ceremonies) Your credit card will be authorized in Self-Service Web but not charged until you come to the office to complete the marriage license process in-person. A 2.95% service provider fee ($2 minimum) will be charged per card transaction. (not a county fee.)
- Enter Customer Information and Shipping Information and place your order.
- Choose how you will receive your marriage license.
Receiving your marriage license without in-office ceremony
After completing the application in Self-Service Web, both applicants must appear together in-person in the Clerk Recorder’s Office between the hours of 10:30am and 4:00pm to complete the process and obtain the marriage license.
The Clerk Recorder’s Office is open to the public on a first come first served basis. The number of customers will remain regulated, so it may be necessary to wait to be assisted to complete the marriage license process and obtain your license.
Receiving your marriage license with in-office marriage ceremony by the Clerk Recorder
Marriage ceremonies are performed in the office of the Clerk Recorder by appointment only. If you wish to have your marriage ceremony performed, you must first schedule a prearranged appointment before coming to the courthouse to complete the marriage license process. Your license will be issued, and marriage ceremony performed on the same day.
Please contact us by phone directly at (707)445-7593, extension #2 to schedule your in-person license issuance and marriage ceremony appointment.
- If you are applying for a "public" marriage license, one person over the age of 18 will be admitted into the office with you to act as witness for the ceremony.
- If you are applying for a "confidential" marriage license no witness is required; Therefore only the couple will be permitted to enter the office for the ceremony.
- An additional $100 ceremony fee of in cash, money order, or credit card (no checks), is due at the time of your appointment.
- Marriage ceremonies are performed in a designated area of the Clerk Recorder’s Office.
- Due to mask requirements you may not kiss each other without masks during or after the marriage ceremony while in the Clerk Recorder’s Office.
Bring the following items with you to obtain your marriage license:
- Original valid ID’s for each applicant.
- If your last marriage ended in divorce less than 90 days prior, you must provide a court filed copy of your final divorce decree before a license will be issued to you.
- If you have not had your credit card pre-authorized in Self-Service Web at the beginning of the application process, the fee is due to complete the process may be paid in either cash or money order, or by credit card. (no checks for this service) Note: A 2.95% service provider fee ($2 minimum) will be charged per card transaction. (not a county fee)
- Fees: $78 public license, $80 confidential license, plus $100 additional if you are also having your ceremony performed by the Clerk Recorder.
Additional Important Information:
- Applicants must both appear in person at the Clerk Recorder’s office to complete the marriage license process and obtain the marriage license.
- Do not bring children, family members, or friends with you as there is a strict limit to the number of persons who will be permitted into the office.
- Only the couple applying for the license will be permitted to enter the Clerk Recorder’s Office to complete the marriage license process and/or when the marriage ceremony is performed.
- If there is a line waiting to enter the lobby, call our main line at (707)445-7593, extension #2, if you have a prescheduled appointment to have a license issued and ceremony performed.
- When you sign the actual license and certificate of marriage, you are stating under penalty of perjury that the information you have provided is true and correct, that you are currently an unmarried couple, and that there is no legal objection to the marriage.
- Marriage licenses are valid for 90 days from the date of issuance. You must have a ceremony performed by an officiant on or after the issuance date, and on or before the expiration date of the license. Licenses not used within this timeframe are void.
- The marriage ceremony must be performed within the State of California.
- No refunds are given for marriage licenses purchased in error, expired, or change of heart.
- You will not be notified that your license has been registered once it's returned to our office after the ceremony.
- You do not automatically receive a certified copy. You must request and pay for a certified copy from the local registrar of marriages (County Recorder) in the county where the license was issued. Information, fees, and forms to order a certified copy of your marriage can be found on our Vital Records webpage.
- Both parties must wear masks from the time they enter the courthouse until they exit the building. Do not remove your mask while in the Clerk Recorder’s Office.
- Please do not come to the Clerk Recorder’s Office if you are ill or currently have an elevated temperature.
Click the Self-Service Web icon below to begin the marriage license process