Cultural Responsive Resources
- Community Partners
- Native American & Tribal Communities
- Black & African American
- Asian & Pacific Islander
- Eureka NAACP
- Northern California Indian Development Council (NCIDC)
- Two Feathers Native American Services
- ITEPP HSU
- Black Humboldt
- Centro del Pueblo
- NAMI Humboldt
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) at HSU.
- Centro Academico Cultural de HSU
- Paso a Paso
- Human Rights Commission
- Project Rebound HSU
- Redwood Community Action Agency
- RCAA Youth Services Bureau
- Equity Alliance of the North Coast
- National LGBTQIA+ Health Education Center - Learning Resources
- First, Do No Harm: Reducing Disparities for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning Populations in California (PDF) - A 2012 report providing data and outlining community defined solutions for reducing LGBTQ mental health disparities in California.
- LGBT Data Collection Toolkit “Do Ask, Do Tell” - A toolkit for collecting data on sexual orientation and gender identity in clinical settings.
- State of California and National Transgender Resource Guide (PDF) - A partial listing of programs, faith communities and health care services (2012).
- Family Acceptance Project Poster
- The Safe Zone Project - A free online resource for powerful, effective LGBTQ awareness and ally training workshops.
- Cumbre Humboldt - Educational and Enrichment assistance for Latinx families and individuals.
- Community-Defined Solutions for Latino Mental Health Care Disparities (PDF)
- LatinoNet - Website for LatinoNet, an organization working to improve the quality of life for Spanish-speaking families of the North Coast through networking, information, collaboration and advocacy.
- National Hispanic & Latino PTTC - The purpose of the Prevention Technology Transfer Center (PTTC) Network is to improve implementation and delivery of effective substance abuse prevention interventions and provide training and technical assistance services to the substance abuse prevention field.
- MentalHealth.gov - Website with information in Spanish about mental health.
- SanaMente (PDF) | Each Mind Matters (PDF) - Information about the “Each Mind Matters” mental health movement in California, including links to tools for the Latino community.
- Spanish/English Dictionary of Health-Related Terms (PDF) - Contains the proper terms in English and Spanish, including phrases used in Mexico and Central American to describe names, signs and symptoms of illness.
- Social/Services Spanish English Glossary (PDF) - California Department of Social Services glossary of terms in Spanish and English
- Native Vision: A Focus on Improving Behavioral Health Wellness for California Native Americans (PDF) - A 2012 report providing data and outlining community defined solutions for reducing Native American mental health disparities in California.
- A Guide to Build Awareness (PDF) - Provides basic information for federal disaster responders and other service providers to enhance cultural competence while providing services to American Indian/Alaska Native communities.
- National Indian Child Welfare Association (NICWA) Policy Updates - Provides the most recent policy updates for this organization.
- Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA) Talking Points Guide (PDF) - A reference for Indian child welfare advocates and allies to speak in a unified voice about Indian child welfare and ICWA in the current political, legal and media climate.
- Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA) Storytelling Guide (PDF) - A guide to create awareness about ICWA through sharing personal stories with colleagues, policymakers and the media.
- Suicide Surveillance Strategies for American Indian Communities
- African American Mental Health Coalition - Website with resources and events for the African American community.
- “We Ain’t Crazy Just Coping With a Crazy System” (PDF) - A 2012 report providing data and outlining community defined solutions for reducing African American mental health disparities in California.
- Behavioral Health Terms in English and Hmong - English to Hmong/Hmong to English glossary, with tips for health care providers and interpreters.
- Making a Difference at Any Age by Koua Vue (PDF) (English) (Hmong) - A story about a father who escaped persecutions of Pathet Lao and how his child saw him recover from depression.
- The Boy who was Mentally Ill by Selena Vang (PDF) (English) (Hmong) - A story about a boy with schizophrenia who is befriended by a classmate.
- Change Can Make Change by Chicheng Justin Vang (PDF) (English) (Hmong) - A story about one person’s experience with depression.
- Don’t be Scared. Go On by Chamee Moua (PDF) (English) (Hmong) - A story about a young women suffering from PTSD and her recovery.
- Pa Xiong’s Story of Hope by Karissa Lee (PDF) (English) (Hmong) - A story of receiving help for mental disorders.
- Hiding Behind a Cloud by Seth Moua (PDF) (English) (Hmong) - A story about having mental illness and having faith in recovery.
- Behavioral Health Terms in English and Lao (PDF) - Behavioral health terms with English definitions and Lao translations/descriptions.
- Don’t Let it be Too Late by Vincent Saechao (PDF) (English) (Mien) - A story about how a family supported their son/brother in seeking help with depression.
- Just Like Everyone Else by Annabela Saechou (PDF) (English) (Mien) - A story about a boy with autism and how he is treated by family.
- Love is the Cure by Meuy Vue (PDF) (English) (Mein) - A story about a mother suffering from anxiety and what helped her.
- Community Provider Toolkit Serving Veterans- Key tools and resources for working with veterans.
- Nation’s Finest (formerly known as North Coast Veterans Resource Center) - A community-based nonprofit focused on the overall wellness and reintegration of military veterans from all eras.
- Eureka Vet Center - U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website with contact information for the Eureka Vet Center.
- Eureka VA Outpatient Clinic - Clinic location, hours of operation, NS AWECIXWA
- Citizenship Resource Center - Information and resources for becoming a U.S. citizen.
- Are you eligible to apply for citizenship? - A free online service that helps people apply for citizenship.
- I am a U.S. citizen - How do I help my relative become a U.S. permanent resident? (PDF) - A Q&A for helping a relative become a permanent resident.
Stigma and Discrimination Reduction
- Stigma and Discrimination as Expressed by Mental Health Professionals (PDF) - Anecdotal reports of consumer and family experiences of stigma and discrimination.
- Mental Health Matters … But Why Focus on Stigma? (PDF) - Handout on how stigma and discrimination pose a greater challenge to people’s quality of life than other obstacles from having a mental health challenge.
- People First of California, Inc. publication (PDF) - A peer-to-peer get-together guide for people with developmental disabilities.
- Jails to Jobs - A website with a step-by-step plan for job searching for ex-offenders.
- History of Consumer and Family-Driven Services - Webinar - A brief introduction to consumer and family member-driven services in the California public mental health system.
- What is a Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP)? - Website all about WRAP, with an information center and resources.
- Person-Centered Planning for Recovery and Wellness - Webinar - A webinar introducing the concept of “person-centered” recovery planning.
Equity and Social Justice
- Equity Alliance of the North Coast - The Equity Alliance initiative institutions and individuals to take on the largely unintended racialized inequities that cause harm.
- Racism – What can I do? (PDF) - Simple steps for taking notice, taking action and taking care when addressing issues of race and equity.
- Equity and Justice Table Tool (PDF) - Easy-to-digest table that compares the two approaches to develop a sense of whether we are asking questions that help us achieve the results marginalized populations deserve.
- Racial Equity Action Plans: A How-to Manual - A manual for local governments to develop their own Racial Equity Action Plans.
- Anti-Racism Resources - A resource to deepen anti-racism work. Contains anti-racism resources, e.g. links to books, podcasts, articles, videos, organizations to follow etc.
- Racial Equity Tools Website - This site offers tools, tips, curricula and ideas for people who want to increase their own understanding of inequity and help work toward justice at every level.
- Eliminating Inequities in Behavioral Health Care - A five-part webinar series playlist to increase participants’ knowledge about the interplay between structural racism, behavioral health institutional racism, implicit bias and behavioral health disparities.
For more information, please email BHCRC@co.humboldt.ca.us.