How to Apply for a Building Permit

The front counter is open daily. Application submittal at the counter allows for a conversation about requirements and is the preferred application intake process. Electronic submission is also possible. All questions/submissions should be sent to the Building Division email

Submit the following items:

  • Completed Application Form
  • Complete site plan
  • Construction plans – if your project is too large to submit via email you can start with just the application form and site plan. We will contact you about how to get the rest of the files to us.

Once we receive your application, we will contact you in 1-2 days with your application number, any questions we may have about the project and if any fees are required to get the process started.

Current payment methods accepted:

  • With a credit card over the phone (we accept VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover). There is a 2.35% processing fee added to all card payments
  • Check (or cashier’s check or money order) If mailing, address to: 3015 H Street, Eureka, CA 95501. Be sure to include an application number or Assessor's Parcel Number (APN) so we can credit the payment to the correct project. Payments will be processed 1-2 days after they are received
  • Cash payments can be taken at the front counter at the Eureka office. Cash payments cannot be made at the Garberville office.

Helpful Links:

Application Form

Site Plan Checklist

Construction Plan Checklist

 Ag Exempt Letter of Intent