- County Homepage
- Sheriff's Office
- Join Us
- Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
Need more information about the recruitment process? Please review our frequently asked questions. If you can’t find the answer to you question, please contact the Sheriff’s Recruitment Line at 707-441-5100 or our Recruitment Officer via email.
- May I be provided with my written test score?
Once an applicant takes his/her P.O.S.T. Pellet B Exam, they will be given their results.
- Is there a dress code for the written examinations?
There is no dress code for the written examinations, although professional, comfortable clothing is recommended.
- Do I get paid while I am in the Police Academy?
As a Sheriff Recruit your tuition through the Police Academy will be covered by the Sheriff’s Office and you will receive regular pay as a full time employee during this time.
- Are you currently testing and hiring?
The Sheriff’s Office does continues recruitment for several positions. To check our current openings, please visit the county employment portal.
- How do I apply for any of the listed job opening(s)?
You can apply for any job opening via the county’s employment portal.
- What positions are part of the Law Enforcement Job Family?
The Sheriff’s Office has numerous positions besides the sworn position of Deputy Sheriff, Correctional Deputy, and Dispatcher. Other positions include Animal Control Officer, Animal Shelter Kennel Attendants, Coroner’s Office positions, Administrative positions, and civilian positions within the Correctional Facility.
- What are the selection requirements for Deputy Sheriff Recruit?
All sworn Sheriff’s Office positions will require the successful completion of the application process, testing, and an oral interview prior to starting the background process.
- For how long are the written test scores valid?
Written test scores are typically valid for one year.
- If I take the P.O.S.T PELLETB Exam and fail, may I reapply?
Yes, however, per P.O.S.T. regulations, the PELLETB test can only be taken once in a 30 day period.
- Do you accept another agency’s written test score in lieu of the written test?
If you have taken the P.O.S.T. PELLETB exam while applying with another agency, we may accept the scores if the test was taken within 12 months of your application date.
- I’m currently on active duty in the military. When should I start the hiring process?
While it is difficult to give an exact time frame for the completion of the background process, as each is unique, we recommend you allot at least six months for this process to be completed in full. Currently, our staff is able to complete an average background evaluation in about 3 to 4 months
- When will closed/suspended position(s) reopen?
Position recruitments vary based on departmental needs. We recommend you check the county employment portal regularly as new positions are frequently listed.
- How do I update my personal information/profile?
Please sign in to the county employment portal to update your information.
- May I apply for more than one position at the same time?
Yes, you may apply for multiple positions.
- If I fail the P.O.S.T. mandated Structured Interview (SI), may I reapply?
If you fail the P.O.S.T. Structured Interview, you may reapply. There is no time restraint for additional applications.
- Whom may I contact for more information regarding employment with the Sheriff's Office?
For more information or specific questions not answered in this FAQ, please contact our recruitment line at 707-441-5100.
- What P.O.S.T. PELLETB Score is required for employment as a Deputy Sheriff?
A passing T- score of 42 on the Peace Officer Standards and Training Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery exam (PELLETB) is required for the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office.