Military & Overseas Voting

Sometimes called military and overseas voting, the Uniformed and Overseas Civilians Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) provides domestic and overseas military personnel and overseas civilians who are registered to vote and eligible to participate in the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) the opportunity to cast an absentee ballot for an election. Services available to military personnel and overseas civilians under the FVAP including registering to vote and receiving ballot materials at their current mailing address (whether overseas or domestic), by email, or by facsimile. 


Eligible military and overseas voters must be one of the following:

  • A member of the active or reserve of the armed forces of the United States.
  • A spouse or dependent of a person in the armed forces.
  • A U.S. citizen living outside of the territorial limits of the U.S. or D.C.

Register to Vote 

Step 1: Visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program website and complete the online application.

Step 2: Return the completed and signed FVAP application to the Office of Elections by mail, fax, or in-person:

Humboldt County Office of Elections
2426 6th Street
Eureka, CA 95501

For additional assistance, visit the Federal Voting Assistance website at or contact the Office of Elections at 707-445-7481.