Marriage Certificates

Humboldt County issues certified copies of marriage of individuals who applied for their license in Humboldt County. 

There are three ways for authorized parties to obtain marriage certificates:

Order Online

For an additional $7 service fee, you may order through a third party vendor called VitalChek Express Certificate Service using a credit card.  Overnight mail service is available for an additional $20 fee.  If you do not require overnight service, you must uncheck the corresponding box.  

Order in person 

Fill out a request for certified copy of marriage certificate form for each separate named certificate.  Bring complete form between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. along with proof of identity, and $17 cash (or credit card) per certificate to the Recorder's office at 825 5th Street, Eureka Ca. 95501.

Order by mail

Fill out a request for certified copy of marriage certificate form for each separate named certificate, have your signature acknowledged by a Notary Public then mail the the completed form along with a check or money order of $17 per certificate to:

Humboldt County Recorder
Vital Record Division
825 5th Street
Eureka Ca, 95501 

*Processing time is 3 to 5 business days. (not including holidays)

Authorization Requirements

Effective July 1, 2003, the California Health and Safety Code Section 103526 will permit only authorized individuals to receive certified copies of marriage records. Those who are not authorized by law to receive a certified copy will receive a certified copy marked "INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY."


The new law describes an authorized person as 1 of the following:
  • The registrant or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant.
  • A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record to comply with the requirements of Sections 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code.
  • A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business.
  • A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or domestic partner of the registrant.
  • An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate.

Sworn Statement

To obtain a Certified Copy after July 1, 2003, you must complete the sworn statement included with the birth certificate application form and sign the statement under penalty of perjury.

If you mail your request, your sworn statement must be notarized. If your mailed request indicates that you want a certified copy, but does not include a notarized statement sworn under penalty of perjury, the request will be rejected as incomplete and returned to you without being processed.