Report Damages, Recover from Disasters

After a local agency declares an emergency, there may be pathways for public agencies and individuals to receive assistance from the State of California and/or federal government, such as the California Office of Emergency Services, Small Business Administration, Federal Emergency Management Agency, and/or US Department of Agriculture Farm Service Agency. In addition, the information gathered through damage reports may be used for various post-incident reports, future emergency planning and even legislative advocacy efforts.

Individuals, Households, and Businesses

If you or your business were affected by a recent emergency, please report damages using the OES online form or call OES at 707-268-2500.

When individuals, households, or businesses are affected by an emergency or disaster, assistance may come in a variety of ways, including government and/or nonprofit, volunteer and faith-based organizations. Although disaster assistance programs are not designed to return you to pre-disaster condition, they may help you begin the Recovery Process.

  • Voluntary Agencies, such as the local American Red Cross or the Salvation Army, are often ready to step in and help take care of immediate needs. These organizations may be able to assist with sheltering or hotel vouchers, food, or clothing. Please contact local voluntary organizations in your area or the Information and Referral line by dialing 2-1-1 or visiting 2-1-1 California.

  • Insurance is the first resource in recovering from a disaster. Contact your insurance agent or company representative to report your losses, review your coverage, and answer any questions. The California Department of Insurance provides assistance with insurance issues and can be reached by calling 1-800-927-HELP (4357) or by visiting the Department of Insurance website.

  • Local Programs, services, or fee waivers may be available to assist with recovery efforts. Contact your local city or county for additional information.

  • State and Federal Programs may be requested if the Governor determines that recovery appears to be beyond the combined resources of both the local and state government.

  • U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) offers low-interest disaster loans to eligible homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and certain private nonprofit organizations in areas declared a disaster by SBA. SBA is most often the primary form of federal assistance that becomes available in California.

  • Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) - Based on the magnitude and severity of the event, assistance may be requested from FEMA and may include the Individuals and Household Program (IHP) to assist with home repairs, temporary housing, and other needs. Depending on the disaster, recovery assistance may also include programs, such as Crisis Counseling, Disaster Unemployment Assistance, and Legal Services.

    When IHP is implemented, the State Supplemental Grant Program is made available to assist with unmet needs. In the absence of federal assistance, residents affected by a disaster may need to rely on personal resources and assistance from local programs and/or voluntary organizations.

Agricultural Industry Damage Reports

If your damages were related to agriculture or crop loss, please report it using the Agricultural Commissioner’s Office online form. You can also call the Agricultural Commissioner’s Office if you have questions at 707-441-5260.

An agricultural disaster designation may be made in a county declared as a disaster area by the President or designated by the Secretary of U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) as a disaster area. A designation provides Emergency Loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, and other natural disasters. The Emergency Loan program may also be implemented for certain quarantines. Producers affected may apply for low-interest emergency loans in counties named as primary or contiguous under a disaster designation. A request should be completed by the county agricultural commissioner and include a completed California Agricultural Commissioner Disaster Report form (see links below).

In response to a determination of a natural disaster by the Secretary of USDA, SBA makes an economic injury disaster declaration making low interest loans available to eligible businesses. These include small, non-farm businesses, small agricultural cooperatives and most private, nonprofit organization of any size.

Agricultural Community Resources

Humboldt Alert Banner 1