2014 Housing Element
The Housing Element is one of the seven required elements of a General Plan by state law. Unlike the other general plan elements, the Housing Element is required to be updated every five to six years.
Read the full description of the Housing Element.
2014 Housing Element Approved May 13, 2014
A. Public Participation (PDF)
B. State Housing Requirements (PDF)
C. Federal, State and Local Housing Programs (PDF)
D. Glossary (PDF)
E. Agencies / Persons Contacted & Distribution List (PDF)
F. Regional Housing Needs Plan (PDF)
G. Parcels Zoned to Principally Permit Emergency Shelters (PDF)
H. Housing Opportunity Zones (9MB PDF)
I. Detail of Residential Land Inventory (PDF)
J. Detail of Infrastructure and Service Needs of Legacy Communities (20MB PDF)
Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU) 2018
An Accessory Dwelling Unit, or ADU, is a secondary housing unit on a single-family residential lot. They can be detached from the primary dwelling, attached, or built inside or over an existing building (like a garage or shop).
In Humboldt County Code, ADUs are called Secondary Dwelling Units Opens a New Window. – these are two names for the same thing.
This brief survey Opens a New Window. is to gauge public interest in developing Accessory Dwelling Units, and how community members may use them, for instance, as a rental , a residence for a family member, etc. Thanks for participating.
Background & Purpose
The following resources include a summary of California’s 2018 laws making permitting easier, and links to Humboldt County’s ADU Fact Sheet, permit checklists, state standards, and other resources for ADUs.
Information & Resources
- Accessory Dwelling Unit Fact Sheet (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- State Standards Checklist (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Building Permit Checklist (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- ADU Residential Fire Sprinkler System Requirements (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Plot Plan Checklist (PDF) Opens a New Window. Opens a New Window.
- Summary of Recent Changes to California ADU Laws (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Safe Homes Program Documentation (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Safe Homes Program Documentation - Alternative Owner Builder (PDF)