County Clerk Recorder 

The Clerk-Recorder’s Office is open for all in-person services between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30pm.  Customers will be assisted on a "first come first served" basis.   The number of customers in the lobby area is strictly regulated, so it may be necessary to wait in the hallway for your turn to be assisted.  
To avoid wait time, documents to be recorded, Clerk filings, copy order requests, and vital records certificate requests may also be submitted by any of the following: 

  • Drop box located outside the Clerk Recorder’s Office door.  Self service forms are available on our forms page and next to the drop box.
  • US Mail or Express mail
  • VitalChek online service (vital record copies only)

If you have any questions please contact us directly by phone at:

 (707) 445-7593

(click the image below to access the VitalChek website)  VitalCheck Order Online Image Opens in new window

2023 Clerk Recorder Fee Schedule

2023 Vital Records Fee Schedule


The Clerk-Recorder’s Office records or files various authorized documents and maps, collects transfer tax and other fees, and registers all births, deaths, and public marriages occurring within Humboldt County. Once recorded or filed, the documents and certificates are made available for examination within the office for interested parties.  Exact copies are issued, upon payment of proper fees, by mail or in person in the office.     

Clerk functions in the Clerk-Recorder’s Office include, issuing marriage licenses, performing marriage ceremonies, and registering public and confidential marriages. The office also performs services related to the filing of fictitious business name statements, filing of notary bonds, registration of professional agents and similar services.

we accept visa mastercard discover logo

Legal Advice
The office of the Clerk-Recorder is prohibited from giving legal advice; nor can staff assist the public in the preparation of legal documents.  If you have questions concerning which document form is appropriate for your transaction, or if you are in need of assistance in the preparation of that document, you should consult an attorney or obtain other professional advice.