Tax Forms & Tax Help
The deadline to file your taxes this year is May 15, 2023.
The deadline for California state income tax returns has been extended to May 15, along with the federal tax filing deadline.
If you suffered damage due to storm disaster this winter, you may be able to claim your losses on your California income tax return. More information about claiming a storm disaster loss here. Property tax relief may be available to those whose homes suffered earthquake damage.
FREE VITA TAX PREPARATION 2023
In-person appointments are available this year, not in the library but at several other locations. Masks are required, and you must sign up in advance.
VITA at Humboldt Senior Resource Center
- 1910 California Street, Eureka, CA 95501
- All ages welcome
VITA at Salvation Army
- 2123 Tydd Street, Eureka, CA 95501
VITA at Rohner Recreation Hall
- 5 Park Street, Fortuna, CA 95540
VITA at Cal Poly Humboldt
- School of Business, Siemens Hall 119
- 1 Harpst Street, Arcata, CA 95521
- Wednesday Nights only, by appointment.
- Sign up & find out more here.
About VITA Free Volunteer Tax Preparation
Volunteer tax preparers go through a thorough training provided by the IRS. Then, they give their time to help neighbors and community members file taxes correctly, and get any tax credits they are eligible for.
This program keeps millions of locally earned dollars in the hands of Humboldt County residents, and in our local economy.
Sponsors include 211 Humboldt, the Redwood Action Agency, and United Way of the Wine Country, as well as many other local participating groups.
Get Paper Tax Forms From the Library
The forms below are typically available, free, from mid-February through May. We keep a few for longer, so if you are doing late (or last year's) taxes, it's always worth asking. Most forms are available online and can be printed for you at 10 cents per page, just ask. Forms listed below may be at your nearest branch soon after they arrive at the Main Library.
IRS Federal Income Tax Forms
- IRS 1040 Form - In stock at the Main Library
- IRS 1040-SR Form - In stock at the Main Library
- IRS 1040 Instruction Book - in stock at the Main Library
- IRS 1040 Form in Spanish - in stock at the Main Library
- IRS 1040 -SR Form in Spanish - in stock at the Main Library
- IRS 1040 Instruction Book in Spanish - On Order
California Income Tax Forms
- CA 540 Booklet (includes forms) - On Order
- CA 540 NR Booklet (includes forms) - On Order
- CA 540 2-EZ Booklet (includes forms) - in stock at the Main Library
- CA 540 2-EZ Spanish Booklet (includes forms) - On Order
If you need other forms, you can ask us to print them at your local library branch. The cost to print them is 10 cents a page.
Beware of tax scammers
The IRS doesn't ask you to send money by a gift card, prepaid debit card, or wire transfer. Do not believe a robocall that says taxes are no longer being collected and any back taxes are forgiven. Do not believe a telephone caller who pretends to be the IRS and tries to frighten you into sending money or revealing personal information. Be wary of email as well, especially email with links to click or with a message that 'you must act now'. The IRS won’t call you about a special tax refund or Economic Impact Payment, and then ask for your private information, but scammers will!