- County Homepage
- Public Library
- What We Do
- Tax Forms & Tax Help
Tax Forms & Tax Help
The deadline to file income taxes this year is now extended to October 16, 2023.
The deadline for California state income tax returns was first extended to May 15, along with the federal tax filing deadline. Now, for residents of Humboldt and other counties in official Disaster Areas this year, you may have until October to file. Read the IRS notice about the new October filing date here. The deadline to file income taxes this year is now extended to October 16, 2023. The deadline to file income taxes this year is now extended to October 16, 2023. The deadline to file income taxes this year is now extended to October 16, 2023. It's still a good idea to file as early as you can to avoid identity theft and other tax scams.
What about Payment?
This year, Humboldt residents who are filing late can also wait to pay until the October deadline, especially if they owe less than $1000 to the IRS and less than $500 to California. If you owe more, you may have to pay interest to make up for the amount the Feds and State would have gained on a normal April payment. If it's going to be hard to pay, the IRS has options including payment plans here.
Middle Class Tax Refund
If you received a 'Middle Class Tax Refund' from the State of California or a Disaster Relief Payment this year, you do not have to pay IRS taxes on that refund. See the IRS notice about the Middle Class Tax Refund here.
Storm Disaster Damage, FEMA-4683-DR
If you suffered damage due to storm disaster this winter, you may be able to claim your losses on your California income tax return. More information about claiming a storm disaster loss on your state taxes here. Property tax relief may be available to those whose homes suffered earthquake damage. The IRS also offers federal storm disaster tax relief, and some important details are in the IRS notice about October filing date linked above.
- Federal Tax Forms Online at the IRS (Download & Print)
- California Tax Forms (Download & Print)
- Accessible Forms for Taxpayers with Disabilities (Federal)
- E-File Federal and State Taxes for Free (for all income levels!)
- IRS Freefile: Free Software to E-File IRS Taxes Online
- CalFile: file your California taxes online, free
- Order Paper IRS Tax Booklets and Forms Mailed to You
- Order Paper California Forms, by Phone, Mailed to You
- Tax Forms from Other U.S. States
IRS Online Tools, Services, & Calculators.
See tools that help you get transcripts of past filings, figure your withholding, find out if you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit, and more.
- Where's My Federal Refund?
Being prepared for an emergency also means keeping extra copies of key tax and financial documents in a safe place.
Learn ways to be ready, or ways to reconstruct lost documents, from the IRS.
Get Paper Tax Forms From the Library
The forms below are typically available, free, from mid-February through May. We keep a few for longer, so if you are doing late (or last year's) taxes, it's always worth asking. Most forms are available online and can be printed for you at 10 cents per page, just ask. Forms listed below may be at your nearest branch soon after they arrive at the Main Library.
IRS Federal Income Tax Forms
- IRS 1040 Form - In stock at the Main Library
- IRS 1040-SR Form - In stock at the Main Library
- IRS 1040 Instruction Book - in stock at the Main Library
- IRS 1040 Form in Spanish - in stock at the Main Library
- IRS 1040 -SR Form in Spanish - in stock at the Main Library
- IRS 1040 Instruction Book in Spanish - in stock at the Main Library
California Income Tax Forms
- CA 540 Booklet (includes forms) - in stock at the Main Library
- CA 540 NR Booklet (includes forms) - in stock at the Main Library
- CA 540 2-EZ Booklet (includes forms) - in stock at the Main Library
- CA 540 2-EZ Spanish Booklet (includes forms) - in stock at the Main Library
If you need other forms, you can ask us to print them at your local library branch. The cost to print them is 10 cents a page.
Free Tax Help
FREE VITA TAX PREPARATION 2023
In-person appointments are available this year, not in the library but at several other locations. Masks are required, and you must sign up in advance. VITA sites are open only until the normal April 15 deadline.
VITA at Humboldt Senior Resource Center
- 1910 California Street, Eureka, CA 95501
- All ages welcome
VITA at Salvation Army
- 2123 Tydd Street, Eureka, CA 95501
VITA at Rohner Recreation Hall
- 5 Park Street, Fortuna, CA 95540
VITA at Cal Poly Humboldt
- School of Business, Siemens Hall 119
- 1 Harpst Street, Arcata, CA 95521
- Wednesday Nights only, by appointment.
- Sign up & find out more here.
About VITA Free Volunteer Tax Preparation
Volunteer tax preparers go through a thorough training provided by the IRS. Then, they give their time to help neighbors and community members file taxes correctly, and get any tax credits they are eligible for.
This program keeps millions of locally earned dollars in the hands of Humboldt County residents, and in our local economy.
Sponsors include 211 Humboldt, the Redwood Action Agency, and United Way of the Wine Country, as well as many other local participating groups.
Do You Need to Change Your Withholding?
Make sure your employer withholds the right amount for next year. While you have your tax information in hand, you may wish to visit the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator.