- County Homepage
- Clerk Responsibilities
- Professional Registrations
- Legal Document Assistant Registration
Legal Document Assistant Registration
Legal Document Assistant
- A Legal Document Assistant (LDA) is any person who provides, assists in providing, offers to provide, offers to assist in providing, for compensation, any self-help service to a member of the public who is representing themselves in a legal matter, or who holds themselves out as someone who offers that service or has that authority. This does not apply to any individual whose assistance consists merely of secretarial or receptionist services.
- State law requires LDA's to register with the County Clerk in the county where their principal place of business is located (deemed primary registration), and in each county in which they are providing the services (deemed secondary registration).
- An application for secondary registration must meet all the requirements except it shall include a certified copy of the bond or cash deposit posted in the primary county.
- An LDA's registration is good for 2 years and qualifies for a renewal within 3 years of expiration as long as all other requirements are met.
- Completed applications must be reviewed for approval by the County Clerk, allow 5-10 working days for notification.
- Regulations can be found in the Business and Professions Code 6400.
Contact the County Clerk at (707)445-7593 to schedule an appointment to be registered in the office.
Legal Document Assistant Instructions
Legal Document Assistant Registration Application - Individual
Legal Document Assistant Registration Application - Corporation or Partnership
Legal Document Assistant Registration Fees:
|Clerk Filing Fee||$7|
|Recording Fee Bond (first page)||$13|
|Recording Fee Bond (each additional page)||$3|
Note: We accept cash, money orders or checks, made payable to the Humboldt County Recorder. Credit or debit cards now accepted as a form of payment for in-office transactions. A 2.95% service provider fee ($2 minimum) will be charged per card transaction. This is not a county fee.