Process Server Registration
Process Server Definition:
A Process Server is any person who makes more than 10 services of process within this state during one calendar year, for specific compensation or in expectation of specific compensation, shall file a certificate of registration as a process server with the county clerk of the county in which he or she resides or has his or her principal place of business. Any corporation or partnership that derives or expects to derive compensation from service of process within this state shall also file a certificate of registration as a process server with the county clerk of the county in which the corporation or partnership has its principal place of business.
Process server registration form
Process server information sheet
Persons Exempt From Registration:
- Any sheriff, marshal, or government employee who is acting within the course of his or her employment.
- An attorney or his or her employees.
- Any person who is specially appointed by a court to serve its process.
- A licensed private investigator or his or her employees
Note: Staff members are not authorized to serve under their employer's registration. All staff members who serve 10 or more services per year are required to register as a natural person in order to be in compliance with sections §22350 - §22356 of the California Business & Professions code.
To Register as a Process Server:
- Contact the County Clerk at (707)445-7593 to schedule an appointment to be registered in the office.
- Submit completed original process server registration form.
- Obtain live scan fingerprint records for each registrant on the form. Please contact the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Department at (707) 445-7211 for more information regarding live scan or to schedule an appointment.
- Provide original process server bond in the amount of $2000.00 in the name of the person, partnership, or corporation that is registering.
- Pay process server application and recording fees as shown below.
- Contact the County Clerk for an appointment to appear in person, with your valid government issued I.D.
Note: We accept cash, money orders or checks, made payable to the Humboldt County Recorder. Credit or debit cards now accepted as a form of payment for in-office transactions. A 2.95% service provider fee ($2 minimum) will be charged per card transaction. This is not a county fee.