Fictitious Business Name Statement
- Persons doing business for profit under a fictitious name (which does not include surname in business name).
- The statement must be filed in county of principal place of business. The statement may only be filed in other counties when the requirements for filing in the county of principal place of business have been met. If this is the case with your filing, please provide a copy of the fictitious business name statement filing from the county of your principal place of business.
- Non-profit corporations, organizations or associations are not required to file a Fictitious Business Name Statement
- Owner must sign (corporate officer if corporation; manager or officer if limited liability company; general partner if partnership; trustee if trust).
- Street address of principal place of business and county must be listed.
- Corporations must include give the address as set out in its articles of incorporation on file with the Secretary of State.
- Limited liability companies must give the address as set out in its articles of organization on file with the Secretary of State.
Important: If registrant is a corporation or LLC, a copy of the articles from the Secretary of State, with matching names and addresses, must be provided to the County Clerk at the time of filing.
- All owners and their residence addresses must be listed.
- Filed copy of statement must be published once per week for four consecutive weeks in an adjudicated newspaper in Humboldt County. See fictitious business name statement instruction sheet for a list of general circulation newspapers.
- Publication must begin within 30 days of filing. If not begun in this time frame, you will be required to submit a new filing and pay the fee again. There is no waiver of the fee.
|Base Filing Fee||$50|
|Second & additional business name (each)||$10|
|Second & additional registrant (each)||$10|
|Abandonment & Withdrawals (flat fee)||$40|
This office does not issue business licenses. To obtain a license to do business in the city limits, contact the City Hall in the city where the business will be conducted. For a business to be conducted outside the city limits, contact the Humboldt County Treasurer's Office at (707) 476-2450 or visit the Humboldt County Treasurer's office website.
Trademarks and Trade Names
Contact the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.