Fictitious Business Name Statement
Beginning Monday May 18, 2020 all in-person access to the Clerk Recorder’s Office is available by appointment only
If you do not have an appointment you may still submit documents to be recorded, Clerk filings, copy order requests, and vital records certificate requests by any of the following:
Drop box located outside the Clerk Recorder’s Office door. Self service forms are available on our forms page and next to the drop box.
US Mail or Express mail
VitalChek online service (vital record copies only)
If you have any questions or to schedule an in-person appointment, please contact us directly by phone at:
or send email to:
To avoid delays due to rejection of your FBN, please take extra care to complete the form before submitting.
Note: The most common reason for rejection of FBN’s is a missing "resident’s street address" in part 3 of the form!
2020 Fee Schedule Opens a New Window.
Opens a New Window.
Who Should File?
- Persons doing business for profit under a fictitious name (which does not include surname in business name).
- The statement must be filed in county of principal place of business. The statement may only be filed in other counties when the requirements for filing in the county of principal place of business have been met. If this is the case with your filing, please provide a copy of the fictitious business name statement filing from the county of your principal place of business.
- Non-profit corporations, organizations or associations are not required to file a Fictitious Business Name Statement
- Owner must sign (corporate officer if corporation; manager or officer if limited liability company; general partner if partnership; trustee if trust).
- Street address of principal place of business and county must be listed.
- Corporations must include give the address as set out in its articles of incorporation on file with the Secretary of State.
- Limited liability companies must give the address as set out in its articles of organization on file with the Secretary of State.
- Important: If registrant is a corporation or LLC, a copy of the articles from the Secretary of State, with matching names and addresses, must be provided to the County Clerk at the time of filing.
- All owners and their residence addresses must be listed.
- Filed copy of statement must be published once per week for four consecutive weeks in an adjudicated newspaper in Humboldt County. See fictitious business name statement instruction sheet for a list of general circulation newspapers.
- Publication must begin within 30 days of filing. If not begun in this time frame, you will be required to submit a new filing and pay the fee again. There is no waiver of the fee.
Filing Fees: 2019 Fee Schedule Opens a New Window.
|Base Filing Fee||$50|
|Second & additional business name (each)||$10|
|Second & additional registrant (each)||$10|
|Abandonment & Withdrawals (flat fee)||$40|
Note: We only accept cash, money orders or checks, made payable to the Humboldt County Recorder. We do not accept credit or debit cards as a form of payment.
Forms and Instructions:
- Fictitious Business Name Statement - Instructions
- Fictitious Business Name Statement - New/Renewal Opens a New Window.
- Fictitious Business Name Statement - Withdraw Partner Opens a New Window.
- Fictitious Business Name Statement - Additional Name Form Opens a New Window.
- Fictitious Business Name Statement - Abandonment Opens a New Window.
This office does not issue business licenses. To obtain a license to do business in the city limits, contact the City Hall in the city where the business will be conducted. For a business to be conducted outside the city limits, contact the Humboldt County Treasurer’s Office at (707) 476-2450 or visit the Humboldt County Treasurer’s office website.