Record a Document  

The Clerk-Recorder’s Office is open for all services between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. Except County Holidays.

 Clerk filings, copy order requests, and vital records certificate requests may also be submitted by any of the following:

  • Drop box located outside the Clerk Recorder’s Office door.  Self service forms are available on our forms page and next to the drop box.

(click the image below to access the VitalChek website)  VitalCheck Order Online Image Opens in new window
Please contact us directly if you have any questions 

Phone: (707) 445-7593


Frequently asked questions (FAQ's) about recording

2023 Clerk Recorder Fee Schedule

Are my documents subject to an additional $75 fee?
 Document Recording 

The County Recorder, upon payment of proper fees and taxes, will accept any document which is authorized or required by California law to be recorded, if the document contains required information and if it is photographically reproducible.

The base recording fees are as follows:

  Building Homes & Jobs Act fee - each title/parcel without exemption      $75

View a complete list of Clerk Recorder Fees for 2023

All applicable fees must be paid at the time of recording.  Note: We accept cash, money orders or checks made payable to the Humboldt County Recorder.  Credit cards accepted with an additional 2.95% service provider fee ($2 minimum) per card transaction.  

we accept visa mastercard discover logo
 Useful links and information:

General Information:


Each document presented for recording must include or comply with California state law general recording requirements.  Click here for a list of Basic Recording Requirements. 


State law requires the transferee (buyer) of real property to file a completed Preliminary Change of Ownership Report concurrently with the recordation of any document effecting a change in ownership. If the form is not signed by the transferee and filed, the recorder will charge an additional fee of $20. For questions on proper completion of the form, please contact the Assessor’s Change of Ownership Department at (707) 445-7276.


 Before being accepted for recording, every document transferring an interest in real property shall have written upon its face a declaration stating the amount of Documentary Transfer Tax and the area in which the property is located. (see documentary transfer tax declaration example)  The statement must be completed to show either the amount of Transfer Tax due, which is payable at the time of recording, or the word "None" or $0 and a valid Revenue and Taxation Code allowing for the exemption.  Applicable exemptions and requirements by California statute can be researched in Revenue and Taxation Codes 11921 through 11930.

Note: The Recorder's Office is prohibited from giving any legal advice and cannot assist the public in the preparation of legal documents. If you have any questions concerning which document form is appropriate to your transaction, or are in need of assistance in the preparation of that document, consult an attorney or obtain other professional advice. If you have any questions regarding the recording process, you may call (707)445-7593 or Toll free at (888) HUMB-REC.