Local Coastal Plan Update
Humboldt Bay Area Plan Update
Humboldt County has received grant funding from the Ocean Protection Council and the California Coastal Commission to update the Humboldt Bay Area Plan (HBAP), a component of the County’s Local Coastal Program. The HBAP was originally certified in 1982, and establishes policies that govern the use of approximately 21,500 acres of land in the unincorporated area around Humboldt Bay and over 20 miles of Pacific coastline.
The primary objective of the HBAP update is to build on the coordinated sea level rise planning around Humboldt Bay and address potential impacts to coastal-dependent uses; critical public facilities such as roads, wastewater treatment plants and shoreline protection structures; communities, including some of the County’s most vulnerable areas - the economically disadvantaged communities of King Salmon, Fields Landing, and Fairhaven/Finn Town; agricultural land; and environmentally sensitive habitat areas (ESHA). In addition, the sea level rise planning will help direct policy initiatives to protect priority land uses, e.g. coastal dependent activities (such as coastal-dependent, industrial and recreation) and ESHA. This grant will also support Humboldt Bay-wide tsunami safety planning by compiling community planning efforts that have been completed to date and conducting planning for sparsely populated areas. Links to useful information relating to the HBAP update are available below, organized by focus area.
Humboldt Bay Area Plan – General Information
- Opens a New Window. California Coastal Commission/Ocean Protection Council Grant - LCP-14-01 (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Coastal Commission Grant LCP-17-01 (work plan under development)
- Humboldt Bay Area Local Coastal Plan, Certified 1982 (PDF) Opens a New Window.
Coastal-Dependent Industrial Land
- Humboldt Bay Maritime Industrial Use Market Study, 2018 (PDF)
- Industrial Siting Study for the Humboldt County Local Coastal Program, 1981 (PDF)
- Opens a New Window. Port of Humboldt Bay Harbor Revitalization Plan, 2003 Opens a New Window.
- Humboldt Bay Harbor, Recreation and Conservation District Humboldt Bay Management Plan, 2007 Opens a New Window.
- Humboldt Bay Harbor, Recreation and Conservation District Economic Development Committee Summary Report, 2009 Opens a New Window.
- Samoa Industrial Waterfront Preliminary Transportation Access Plan, 2013 (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Humboldt Bay Alternative Rail Corridor Concept Level Construction Cost and Revenue Analysis, 2013 Opens a New Window.
- Long Term Financial and Economic Feasibility of the Northwestern Pacific Railroad, 2003 (PDF)
- City of Eureka General Plan Economic Development Policy Paper Opens a New Window.
- LACO Technical Memorandum: Coastal Dependent Industrial Site Inventory Review, 2015 (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Analysis of Parcels Zoned Coastal-Dependent Industrial, Humboldt Bay Area Plan LCP Amendment, Humboldt County, 2016 (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Samoa Pulp Mill Infrastructure Analysis, Redwood Marine Terminal II, 2016 (PDF) Opens a New Window.
Sea Level Rise
- August 14, 2018 Fairhaven & Finn Town Sea Level Rise Workshop Flyer (PDF)
- HBAP Sea Level Rise Adaptation Policy Background Study August 2018 (PDF)
- Humboldt County Diked HBAP Shoreline Adaptation Feasibility Study (PDF)
- Humboldt Bay Area Plan Sea Level Rise Vulnerability Assessment Report (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Humboldt Bay Sea Level Rise Adaptation Planning Project Opens a New Window.
- Sea Level Rise Policy Guidance - California Coastal Commission Opens a New Window.
- Draft Residential Adaptation Policy Guidance - California Coastal Commission
- August 7, 2018 King Salmon & Fields Landing Sea Level Rise Workshop Flyer (PDF) Opens a New Window.