County Parks & Facilities
Welcome! Humboldt County Parks comprise a diverse set of public lands containing unique natural and cultural features, with 16 park sites, five miles of paved bike paths, and a combined total acreage of over 900 acres. The mission of Humboldt County Parks is to provide high-quality outdoor recreational experiences in a safe environment. Humboldt County Parks provide opportunities for a wide variety of recreational activities including camping, picnicking, swimming, fishing, boating, beachcombing, clamming, hiking, bicycling, and wildlife viewing.
News and Announcements:
March 20, 2020: The following changes have been made for Humboldt County Parks in response to the Covid-19 public health emergency:
- Freshwater Park is closed.
- All others parks are open for day-use.
- All campgrounds are closed. (Big Lagoon, Clam Beach, Samoa, Van Duzen, A.W. Way)
- Rules at specific parks may change at any time, look for signs and notices.
If you visit, please take steps to protect yourself and others:
- Keep the minimum recommended social distance of six feet or more between yourself and other visitors.
- Be courteous and warn other users of your presence with your voice to ensure proper distance. Step off trails to allow others to pass.
- Practice personal hygiene — wash hands, carry hand sanitizer, cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing and avoid high-touch surfaces.
- Don’t leave trash. Take everything out with you to protect other visitors and park workers.
- If you are ill or have cold or flu symptoms, please stay home. If you are 65 or older or medically vulnerable, please follow the health directives to stay home.
August 2016: The Humboldt County schedule of fees and charges was updated. Check the individual park pages for details. In addition, the following charges are now in effect:
- $45 for an annual pass that covers day use fees (one vehicle) and a $5 per night/per vehicle discount on camping fee (Still $35 for discount groups - Handicap/Veteran/Senior)
- Handicap/Veteran/Senior Discounts (with handicap or Veteran ID or 65 and over):
- $3 off vehicle camping
- $2 off hike/bike camping
- $2 off day use
February 2015: The floating dock for the boat ramp at Big Lagoon County Park has been removed due to safety concerns. Humboldt County Parks recognizes the impact of taking the dock out of service; unfortunately the dock could not be repaired due to its age and deterioration. Humboldt County will pursue funds to replace the dock along with other park improvements. However, it could take up to 2 years before the dock is replaced. In the meantime, the cement ramp is open.
November 4, 2014: Fields Landing Boat Launch named for former county supervisor Jimmy Smith
- Big Lagoon County Park
- Clam Beach County Park
- Samoa Campground
- Swimmers Delight and Pamplin Grove (Van Duzen County Park). Please note that Pamplin Grove is a group campground and reservations must be made by calling (707) 445-7651.
- A.W. Way County Park
Note: With some exceptions, camping is on a first-come, first-serve basis (reservations are not accepted)
Rules and regulations are developed for the safety and convenience of all park visitors, and to protect the parks for the enjoyment of future generations. Violations of these rules can result in citation and/or removal from the park. Site-specific rules and regulations may be posted at the park.
- Quiet Hours are from 10 pm until 8 am. Loud music and stereos are prohibited at all times
- Check-out time is 1 pm.
- Only fee-paying campers are allowed in the campground between midnight and 5 am.
- Maximum stay limits apply in any 30-day period.
- Fires are restrict to the fire rings and grills provided. Portable metal barbecues are acceptable.
- Dogs must be on a leash and under control at all times.
- Vehicles are restricted to roads and parking lots. The speed limit within the campground is 10 mph.
- Shooting of weapons including bows and arrows, air pellet guns, paintball guns, potato guns, and slingshots is strictly prohibited.
- Mad River Beach County Park - Mad River
- Freshwater County Park - Freshwater Creek - Note: Day use group reservations may be made by calling (707) 4457651
- Pedrazzini Boat Ramp and Crab Park - Eel River
- Margarite Lockwood Park - South Fork Eel River
- Van Duzen County Park - Van Duzen River
- A.W. Way County Park - Mattole River