IMPORTANT NOTE: The County Surveyor does not survey private property. Contact a licensed land surveyor for this work.
The County Surveyor reviews subdivision maps, Records of Survey, and lot line adjustments, as well as:
- Maintains the County Surveyor’s Map Index of recorded maps and unrecorded surveys
- Maintains the Surveyor’s Library (unrecorded surveys)
- Reviews and files Corner Records
- Administers the Monument Preservation Fund
- Facilitates boundary corrections
- Fields general questions regarding property boundaries.
Under the County Surveyor’s direction, field crews within the Survey Section also provide field surveying for:
- County Roads
- County Facilities
- Monument Preservation
The County Surveyor prepares the associated mapping, boundary surveys, and survey document preparation for projects related to the above facilities.
Helpful links and reference materials: Opens a New Window.
- Humboldt County Surveyor’s Map Index (hummaps.com)
- County Surveyor’s Map Standards 04-25-2019 Opens a New Window.
- County Surveyor’s Monument Preservation Guidelines 02-21-2019 Opens a New Window.
- Boundary Correction Application Opens a New Window. and Ordinance (No. 1911 10-23-1990) Opens a New Window.
Year-End Filing / Recording of Subdivision Maps
The following are submittal deadlines in order to facilitate the filing / recording of Subdivision Maps before the end of the calendar year. All maps shall be signed by all owners, trustees / beneficiaries (if any) and the County Tax Collector. All clearances must obtained, Public Works billing reconciled and County Surveyor map check requirements completed by the dates below:
- Parcel Maps (Minor Subdivision) with no Board of Supervisors action required: December 15th.
- Parcel Maps (Minor Subdivision) that require Board of Supervisors action due to Vacation / Abandonment or other circumstances: November 15th.
- Final Maps / Tract Maps (Major Subdivision): November 15th.
Notary Seals on Maps – DO NOT STAMP OR SEAL!
Pursuant to Government Code Section 66436(c) & 66445(e) a notary seal is not required so long as the name of the notary, the county of the notary’s principal place of business, and the notary’s commission expiration date are typed or printed below or immediately adjacent to the notary’s signature in the acknowledgement.
2019/20 Fees (effective date 01/01/2020):
Checking of Parcel Maps and Final Maps
Actual cost with an initial deposit of $1600 + $120 per lot/parcel + Index Fee
Checking of Record of Surveys
$533 for first sheet + $200 each additional sheet + Index Fee
Recheck fees apply after 3rd check
Checking of Certification of Corrections
$289 each + Index Fee
Checking of Corner Records
Application for Boundary Correction
Actual cost with an initial deposit of $400
$13 first page + $3 each additional page