Child Abuse Services Team (CAST)
Who We Are
The Humboldt County Child Abuse Services Team (CAST) is a multi-disciplinary interview team, serving the children and families of Northern California, since 1996. The team includes people from Law Enforcement, Child Welfare Services, County Mental Health, the District Attorney's Office, North Coast Rape Crisis and Tribal Social Services. CAST is accredited by the National Children's Alliance.
What We Do
CAST prevents child abuse and keeps children safe by providing education on the prevention of child sexual abuse; efficient and coordinated investigations of child abuse through collaboration among law enforcement, Child Welfare Services and the District Attorney's Office; forensic medical exams and referrals for mental health services; and training and education to law enforcement and the community on effective, minimally intrusive investigations of child abuse allegations.
How We Help
We provide high-quality, evidence-based care for children who have experienced abuse through the use of the Children's Advocacy Center Model developed by the National Children's Alliance. This approach avoids re-traumatizing children by avoiding the need for them to tell their story over and over to different agencies. The approach also makes investigations more effective by ensuring communication among agencies. The child-focused environment we provide minimizes trauma that can occur in reporting abuse and maximizes support for both children and families.
Where You Can Find Us
On the 5th floor of the Humboldt County Courthouse.
CAST Team receives proclamation from Board of Supervisors.
- What resources are available to me?
- A Victim Advocate at the interview will answer any specific questions and find the best resources for your specific situation.
- Will I be able to watch the interview?
- Because the interview is part of an active investigation, only those involved in the multi-disciplinary team are allowed to observe.
- My child has already been interviewed but they told me more. What should I do?
- Contact the Law Enforcement Agency handling your case.
- What can I expect at CAST?
- At CAST you will meet people who want to help you in a safe, supportive environment.
- Who will I be talking to?
- Someone with special training in how to help you share information. All of our interviewers have many years of experience talking to children of all ages about all kinds of situations.
- Can I bring a friend for support?
- Please do bring a friend if that would help you feel more comfortable. Your friend cannot be with you during your interview but they can be there to support you both before and after.
For our partners:
- I am a Social Worker and I would like to schedule an interview. How would I do that?
- Please contact local law enforcement
- I am a Law Enforcement Officer and I would like to schedule an interview. How would I do that?
- Please email the CAST Coordinator with your request.
ROTARACT donates toys to CAST.