Books, Media & Information Services
Information Services at the Reference DeskLibrarians and library staff stand ready to assist you in your search for the information you need. Professional Reference Librarians are available at the Eureka Main Library and in our larger branch libraries.
At the Reference Desk or any Branch Library's Service Desk, you can:
- ask questions,
- get help with research,
- request books from other libraries, and
- get assistance in using books, computers, and reference materials.
Calling the Reference Desk
Main Library: 707-269-1905
You may telephone the Main Library for answers to questions of fact, to discuss a long-distance search request, or for library assistance and queries that don't require lengthy research. Be prepared to use your redial button if you call at a busy time, because the librarian may be helping another patron and may have stepped away from the desk. We do want to answer your call.
If you are searching for an obituary that may have been published in a local newspaper, and you do not live in Humboldt County, you may request an obituary search by mail. This service costs ten dollars. For more information, view our . Humboldt County Residents can get free help in finding an obituary by visiting the Main Library Reference Desk.
Local History Search Service
If you need local historical facts but are not a resident of Humboldt County, you may use this service to have local library research done on your behalf. There is a ten dollar fee for each specific information request. Use the Local History Search Request Form. Requests will be searched in the order received. If you are in Humboldt County, Reference Librarians and Humboldt Room Docents will be happy to assist you in finding information here in the library at no cost. Just stop by the information desk.
Check to see what's available at your nearest library! While all of the resources and services listed below can be found at the Main Library, our Branch Libraries provide excellent service to their patrons and even the smallest can provide you with a surprisingly wide range of library materials.
- Books, Audiobooks, DVDs, and Music on CDs
- eBooks and eAudiobooks
- Events: Lectures, Storytimes, Films, and More
- Interlibrary Loan Service
- Internet Workstations and Wireless Internet Access
- Magnifiers and Other In-Library Reading Aids
- Microform Reader-Printers
- Online Access to Articles from Magazines, Newspapers, and Encyclopedias
- Online Access to Databases (Auto Repair, Health, Homework Resources, and more)
- Tax Forms & the VITA Tax Assistance Program
- Web Links and Online Catalog
- Word Processors and Typewriter
- Auto Repair Manuals
- General Fiction Collection
- Japanese Language Collection
- Large Print Collection
- Literacy Materials
- Local History Collection
- Magazines and Newspapers
- Nonfiction Collection
- Parenting Collection
- Reference Collection
- Science Fiction, Mysteries, Westerns
- Spanish Language Collection