Vital Records

The Humboldt County Clerk / Recorder's Vital Records division only issues certified copies and certified informational copies of birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates. The Vital Records division is also responsible for issuing marriage licenses.  

Note: If the birth or death occurred in, or the marriage license was issued in, a county other than Humboldt we will not be able to process your copy order request.  Please refer to the list of California County Recorders, available through, to request certified copies from other California counties.



To receive a certified copy of a vital record, select the appropriate tab below.  Each tab will have a link that will take you to the appropriate application.  Fill out the application, have the notarization done (not required for informational), include money order or check for the correct amount, and mail to the listed address on the application.  This office only returns certificates from mailed in applications by regular mail.


You may bring your completed application into our office and in most cases receive your certificate right over the counter in just a few minutes.  Be aware that this office does not currently have a method of accepting payments by credit/debit cards.


You may also place your order through a Third Party vendor called VitalChek that will take a credit card payment and allow you to do overnight UPS service.  VitalChek charges an additional $7.00 for their service and $20.00 for UPS overnight.  If you do not need the overnight then you will need to uncheck it.  By clicking on the VitalChek image you will be taken to their website.

Marriage License

To apply for a Marriage License select the tab below. The tab will have a link that will take you to the Marriage application. The online application is only for you to fill out, print, and bring with you to the County Clerk / Recorder’s office. Both parties applying for the Marriage License need to appear together with valid photo ID (driver’s license, passport, green card, etc.), and the appropriate fee in CASH (Only the License needs to be paid for in CASH).

Divorce Records

Divorce records are a function of the Superior Court of California.  The following link will take you to their webpage: .

  1. Birth Certificates
  2. Death Certificates
  3. Marriage Certificates
  4. Marriage License
  5. Marriage Officiants

Birth Certificates

Humboldt County issues only certified copies of birth certificates, which are acceptable for passport, social security, employment, and personal identification purposes.

Informational Only copies are not to be used for Identifying Purposes and have the "Informational Only" stamp applied.